Mapua Aquarium :(

Neon

I was just listening to an interview with one of the firefighters. They say they don't know about the fish yet as they have not been able to get in but since the building is pretty much destroyed, I doubt any survived. &c:ry

The last Aquarium World has pics from the Tasman/Marlborough fish clubs' recent visit. I have always enjoyed going there and it was one of the greatest little aquariums in the country.

They have been lucky to save the rest of the buildings since most are all joined together!

for all of you who are on facebook, please go this link and like this page. lets see if we can get enough support to get the Mapua Aquarium back up and running. Lets convince everyone that it NEEDS to be rebuilt. :happy1:

Its such a loss for everyone. &c:ry

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/LIKE-if-you-think-they-should-Re-Build-Mapua-Aquarium/288680697814324

and on a slightly happier note:

Phoenix, the red-eared slider turtle, was pulled alive from the ashes of yesterday's devastating aquarium fire in Mapua by two Nelson firefighters, and is already being hailed as a symbol of hope for the future of the aquarium.

The turtle, nicknamed Phoenix by aquarium owner Murray Goss, was the sole survivor of the fire that razed the Touch the Sea Aquarium. The turtle was found "unharmed and quite perky" by senior firefighter Kevin Douglas, of Nelson, and firefighter Jarod Spencer. "I looked in the tank and saw it move its head and look up at me," Mr Spencer said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/cutestuff/5638330/Turtle-perky-despite-ordeal