auckland heat

chimera

Think of the money on power we are saving.My tank has not gone below 28deg in two weeks.It hits 30 to 34 every day.I am going to by a second hand freezer and drill holes in the lid and run a closed loop system through it on a timer.I will put plenty of beer in so as to make sure keep going back to check its ok :D

which the wife freaked about

:lol:

customer: "hi there, i was interested in starting up a marine tank"

lfs employee: "are you married sir?"

customer: "yes"

lfs employee: "over this side we have freshwater fish,... or perhaps a new cat or dog?..."

Thanks Steve, I had already worked this out (any one want to by a water cooler?!!?!?). And whats with bagging the Wellington weather??? It was in the late 20's at my place yesterday 30 degrees inside, forecast for 28 today. fecking Aucklander, gumble, mumble......

:wink:

Second hand air con a good option, but this human not at home as often as the fish!

Steve / agree re location but no option at the moment, in 1 week I pump in under the house!

I will clamp the chiller and report back on power consumption.

to my bathtub chiller on wednesday. the temp got to 22deg in the tank tuesday, so added sheets of aluminium to the bathtub, hooked up a 5watt powerhead to spray water on the sheets, and a small table fan to circulate the air. the tub is set up slightly under the house, so as to draw on the cool air there. tank is back to 19deg in the day time and 17deg at night. sunroom temp where tank is, is up to 40deg. total cost now $120.

total power consumption of chiller 35watts.

cheers

My tank has hit upto 31.5 deg and is now hovering at 29-30 now that I have opened the hood and raised the main lighting hood above the tank. with about a 1cm gap all the way around. I brought a couple of small computer fans yesterday, but thats about all I know how to do at present. I was thinking of wiring it up to the light wiring ??? Also I have basically 2 options.

1. install it in the side of the hood aiming at the lights. there is a cover between lights and water so this would not put wind on the water.

2. install it in the front flap of the hood and aim it down on the water.

Which sounds better? any ideas on the wiring of the fan?