angel fish laid eggs :D

smurff

Hi guys,

got a question or two :)

so over the last few days i had noticed my 2 large angel fish cleaning the filter intake pipe, well today one of them laid eggs all over it.

the over one did its thing over the eggs. clumsy guy however, knocked a few off, but teh other one picked them up and moved them about.

so, as they have laid on the filter intake pipe, im worried about them falling off then getting sucked in the filter, if i put a mesh on the filter head it would help, however, i dont want to disturb/upset the mum and dad as i will have to get real close.

will this be an issue?

i have put an upside down pot in the other side of the tank, but im not sure they will be wanting to move them, will wait and see?

they are in a community tank, so im not sure if the eggs will last long, but can always hope, the mum and dad have been very protective so far.

if they do make it and hatch, what the best thing to feed them, do you put anything in the tank for the eggs to feed on?

little lost in this area.

quick pic, at teh bottom of that pipe the filter intake head is at a 90 degree pointing towards the camera :nilly:

6075908336_5eb49245df.jpg

angel-eggs by smurff900, on Flickr

any help would be awesome or some links for more reading would be also awesome :D

Cheers all

Smurff

• 5 months later...

soooo a pair of angels i got off joshlikesfish have decided to lay eggs, i now have a leaf of wiggling eggs, i take it they will hatch in the next few days.

what do i feed them and how do i feed them. is decapsulated brine shrimp good for them.

i already have some of this stuff

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/fish-food/auction-447556007.htm

or am i better getting the droplet liquid stuff from the fish shop.

im buy some christmas moss for them to hide in and maybe some other types of plants.

it is a community tank, but i have put up a divider, however the holes are not small enough to stop the babies swimming through

cheers

Smurff

Remove the Leaf they are on and pop it into a container that you can float in the main tank if you don't have a tank suitable to pop them into. Also pop in airstone to keep the water circulating gently.

Once they are free swimming they will feed on their egg sac for around 3 days, so don't feed them before they have used up their egg sac.

When I was breeding Angels, the basic things I did were:

3 x water changes daily (They only need to be in a small amount of water, maybe round 10cm or so).

Feed them up and BBS, 4-5 times a day, or small pinch of boiled egg yolk.

Very cool to watch them grow into their Angel shape as they get older.

Good Luck

cheers for the help, it looks like they are still feeding on there sac.

however, they seem to be on the move, or being moved by mum and dad, i was going to try move then last night, but thought i sould ask to see if it was safe to do so. 2 -3 are slightly swiming, but only moving about 1cm.

the move wont stress them at all?

Cheers

Smurff

They will all rise up and swarm when they have used up the yolk sack. You can then siphon them out into water from the same tank and start feeding them Artemia nuplii and microworm. Parents will go again in about 10-14 days if well fed. Have lotsa tanks? The one shown looks like a pearl scale gold, what is the other one?