Fluval M100 Submersible heater

aquariumbeginner32

I just got one and my tank is 64L. I've been slowly raising the temp since last night from 19C to 30C and it's on 30C now and the thermometer says the temp is 23C? :dunno:

I have two thermometers.. one is a stick on strip one that goes on the outside of the tank and the other is the normal type that goes in the water and sticks on the side of the tank with a suction cup.

I just got one and my tank is 64L. I've been slowly raising the temp since last night from 19C to 30C and it's on 30C now and the thermometer says the temp is 23C? :dunno:

The gauges on the side of heaters are useless unless they can be calibrated. Ignore them for anything but trying to get it into roughly the right range..

The black strip sticky one that goes on the outside of the tank says 23C.

Tear that off and throw it in the trash, they're garbage. The internal one you have is good. Use that.

be careful with that assumption, or you could cook your fish.

Does the heater have a light that turns on while it is heating? If so turn the heater down until that turns off as you only want about 25 deg anyway.

Ich will pass (with the use of salt) even at 15 deg in a week or two. Keep up the salt for a week after the last spot has gone

Apparently now it's 27C and the fish seem happy and fine... I've put my finger into the water and it's not that warm IMO. The fantail goldfish was hanging around the heater for a long time today. Like right next to it and I'm sure it was actually touching it :dunno:

Yes it has a blue light which never seems to turn off. It's on all the time.

How old is your internal thermometer? The older they get the less accurate they are and they need to be recalibrated with a reference one that you know is correct.

I have had similar ones in the past that have been up to 3 degrees out from what they were displaying.

Also is the heater new?

Apparently now it's 27C and the fish seem happy and fine... I've put my finger into the water and it's not that warm IMO. The fantail goldfish was hanging around the heater for a long time today. Like right next to it and I'm sure it was actually touching it :dunno:

Heater is in with your goldfish? How come?

The gauges on the side of heaters are useless unless they can be calibrated. Ignore them for anything but trying to get it into roughly the right range

Take note of what Ira has said and try and figure out how to calibrate the heater

How old is your internal thermometer? The older they get the less accurate they are and they need to be recalibrated with a reference one that you know is correct.

I have had similar ones in the past that have been up to 3 degrees out from what they were displaying.

Also is the heater new?

Yup the heater is new and the thermometer is also new.

Heater is in with your goldfish? How come?

Take note of what Ira has said and try and figure out how to calibrate the heater

I don't think it can be Josh :dunno: All it has is the dial on top that is where you set the temp and the range is from 19-30C. Last night the thermometer was reading at 28C.

Sorry Josh didn't see your first question. My fantail goldfish is temporarily with my minnows and guppies because a cat got my chocolate fantail from the pond so I removed the blue/silver one and put him in the tank to save his/her life! :cry:

When I realized that the guppies have Ich I decided it wasn't a good idea to move the goldfish, and he/she might have Ich too, so I'm treating the whole tank with tonic salt and I've raised the temp for the guppies. The goldfish seems fine. I have a Bubbilo pump with a starfish airstone in there for him/her which is on the highest setting so it's pumping as much air/oxygen into the tank as possible, to be on the safe side. All the fish seem happy.

Now I just have the problem of what to do with miss/mister goldfish ... leave him in there or when I get my new pond (bathtub) set up, put him out there. But because the temp in the tank is higher now, I don't want to shock the goldfish. :(