Ideas to get rid of snails?

mcmillanm

Hi,

Any ideas to get rid of snails in my tropical tank? It's been ongoing for a while. Sometimes I pick them off the glass at night or take out the wood/ornaments they are on and wash them down the sink with hot water but there are just SO many!

Am hoping not to use snail rid as it's my fry tank for platies, swords and a couple of corys.

Thanks.

Hi,

They are a cone shape and their shells are really hard.

I'm thinking of getting a team of chain loaches as I love loaches and hope they may eat the baby snails? Will also look into a snail trap.

I've heard they don't like copper but will copper (which I guess is in the snail rid) hurt my cories?

Thanks

Chain loaches keep my tank snail free, they are great wee fish to watch too. I've used snail traps before but they do a better job of catching BN fry than they do snails. A piece of cucumber or lettuce under an upside down saucer with it's edge propped up a bit can work just as well.

i used a product from aristopet "SNAIL RID" it works but ull have to take all sucker fish corys and loaches out it killed every last snail in the tank just left with shells on the bottom it doesnt tell ya about taking them fish out on the packet but even a 10c copper coin makes the fish sick

They are a cone shape and their shells are really hard.

I'm thinking of getting a team of chain loaches as I love loaches and hope they may eat the baby snails?

If they are trumpet snails, chain loaches wont eat them - I have 5 chain loaches, and my tank is overrun with them

The bigger loaches like yoyos or angelicus will take out the trumpet snails, the chains only can get the young ones so can sometimes keep a small population under control but don't gt rid of them as such. Just keep in mind that you'll lose fry if you do put loaches in. If you were to remove the fry for a few days, see if you can borrow someones skunk loach(es) and don't feed them - they are one of the fastest snail eating loaches I know, amazing to see them work really :roey:

if you have heaps, there must be excess food providing the snails the opportunity to reproduce so well.

sometimes just feeding your fish less = less snails

it is surpising how little fish can live off, and how much we like to over feed. feeding less generally makes for less maintenance required also.

wouldn't waste my time with loaches, unless i wanted loaches of course.

chemicals can work but side effcts weighed up against the negatives of having snails (generally very little). why worry..

:mbh:

Hey,

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I do love loaches so may look into a wee team to get rid of the baby snails & also try getting a snail trap & feeding a bit less. My fish are such good ltitle actors though LOL - they seem to know what time of the day is breakfast and dinner time and like to hang out near the front of it looking so hungry...

I don't even mind a few snails as they seem to help with keeping muck off of the filter intake where I have a cloth to stop babies being sucked up at night.

There are just SO many of them at the moment and it's a pain to get them individually off of the glass or ornaments at night!

Hopefully these ideas will help get them back under control again!

Hmm Ive never seen a commercial snail trap but I know there out there, what I do is get a bottle cut the funnel part off, invert it and seal it up. Put some bait in and trap away. In loaches have you tried HFF? They have a good rep.

hmmmm... RPG??

The snails will be :digH:

If you do find a way of knocking off your snails please post. I have tried trapping (don't have the patience) and I also have Yoyo loaches (seems to be working but slowly). But I want my tank to be afrcians only again and those loaches just don't fit in.

Yeah you can weigh it down with stones. @Ymir, if your fish arent sensitive to copper use some. Ive never had a snail problem in my tank, squirtle would always crunch then as soon as they hit the ground. Guess it gets some calcium in him though...But I cannot have fish with him either >.

Wonder if you could remove the fish to a temporary tank for a day or three.

Add bleach in small doses every couple of hours until you see the snails dieing.

When happy all dead. flush tank with hose/ do huge water changes then add some dechorinator to neutralise bleach.

Add a couple of guppies to check tank is safe. if all good a day or two later start putting your fish back in.

May kill bacteria in filter so would pay to test water regularly for week or two after as may have to, more or less, cycle the tank again.

Anyone think there is merit to that? or ..... any other suggestions.

edit: not sure it will kill the snail eggs...