Ugh... I think my guppies all have Ich...

aquariumbeginner32

Raising the temperature only speads up the life cycle of the whitespot. What you see on the fish cannot be treated but those spots release heaps of theronts which are the free swimming stage and can be treated. At the temperature you hasve they should have a life cycle of 4-5 days so a week just gives a bit of a safety factor.

I think I'll stick with this one. It was up to 28C last night. I turned it down until the blue light went out (yes it did turn off so it must be working lol) last night and when I got up this morning it was 25-26C. All the fish are happy though.

I'm sure 28C is high enough for fancy guppies anyway right? My plan is once the ich is gone, I'm going to get just one fancy guppy to begin with. Will see how he/she goes. :)

Well I went to Animates on Saturday and got myself a Fluval heater, Bubbilo pump and a starfish airstone and two thermometers. One is a stick on strip one and the other is a normal type thermometer that goes in the water. I'm a bit stumped... I have the heater and the pump going and I set the heater on 20C at first but the water was still cold so I kept turning it up slowly but it was still cold and I think it's on about 25C now yet the normal type thermometer is saying the water is 22C and the stick on one says it's 21C I think. :dunno:

Those stick on strip thermometers measure the temperature of the glass so don't give an accurate measurement of the water temperature so you may as well not use it, and with the difference between the heater temperature and the glass thermometer will be that the heater may need calibrating. I know its usually recommended to wait 24 hours to see if it needs doing, both my jager heaters had a difference of 3 degrees when i got them. hopefully you have the issue solved :)