Ugh... I think my guppies all have Ich...

aquariumbeginner32

I just noticed today one of my guppies has spots all over him... on further inspection of all the fish in the tank I can see spots on all the guppies, but not on the minnows or the fantail goldfish. I've put salt in the tank. I read online to dissolve it first in some of the tank water before adding it to the tank and to put it into the water in an area that has lots of water movement so I put it in where the filter is. It says to do 1/3 of the dosage first and then another 1/3 in 12 hours and the other 1/3 in another 12 hours, from memory. And also to vacuum the tank every day. So I've put 4 1/3 tablespoons of salt into the tank (64L) and will do the same again in the morning.

Should I do the gravel vacuum before I add the salt or after?

I really don't want to lose my fish :(

Guppies are not true coldwater fish, and really do best over 20 degrees. Its quite possible that overnight your temp is dropping below that (my tank water will drop to 16 or less without a heater in my house overnight) and they are getting stressed.

Change the water and add salt tho, better to have clean water. I would take the chill off a little tho doing a water change at night the water will be very cold coming out of the tap.

Bikbok they're not guppies. But since I don't know what they are and the pet shop calls them cold water guppies, that is all I can call them. :dunno:

I've done the salt treatment without cleaning the tank/vacuuming or anything. In the morning I will do a gravel vacuum and water change. And I have to add salt to the new water I put in there too. I have to do it daily ... not sure how long for. I think for 7 days from when I think the ich is eradicated....

Bikbok they're not guppies. But since I don't know what they are and the pet shop calls them cold water guppies, that is all I can call them. :dunno:

I've done the salt treatment without cleaning the tank/vacuuming or anything. In the morning I will do a gravel vacuum and water change. And I have to add salt to the new water I put in there too. I have to do it daily ... not sure how long for. I think for 7 days from when I think the ich is eradicated....

oh, i wonder what they are if not guppies.. can you get a photo, someone on here will surely know. Hope they are not gambusia!!

They are guppies, there is no such thing as a cold water guppy they can live in temperate water (generally best kept over 18-20) but that doesn't make them a true cold water fish, regardless of what a petshop sells them as. As someone suggested this is probably why they got white spot with the lower temps over winter they have probably been subjected to lower temps and more stress than usual.

What other fish are in the tank? The amount of salt you are adding is tiny, I would add at least one big handful to a 2ft tank, and maybe another in a few days if there was no improvement. Obviously this would depend on if you have any fish sensitive to salt in the tank.

Oh well it seems to be working well anyway. Once I can't see any more spots and I've done the salt treatment for 7 days after that, then I'm going to get some chemical treatment from the LFS just to be extra careful.

It does seem to be doing the job though, as the spots are disappearing fast and I haven't got any casualties and no fish are lying on the bottom of the tank waiting for the end to come :thup: They're all happily swimming around.

Oh well it seems to be working well anyway. Once I can't see any more spots and I've done the salt treatment for 7 days after that, then I'm going to get some chemical treatment from the LFS just to be extra careful.

It does seem to be doing the job though, as the spots are disappearing fast and I haven't got any casualties and no fish are lying on the bottom of the tank waiting for the end to come :thup: They're all happily swimming around.

No point in buying a chemical treatment if the salt has worked, I would just leave it as is and gradually get rid of the salt with your water changes..

Well I went to Animates on Saturday and got myself a Fluval heater, Bubbilo pump and a starfish airstone and two thermometers. One is a stick on strip one and the other is a normal type thermometer that goes in the water. I'm a bit stumped... I have the heater and the pump going and I set the heater on 20C at first but the water was still cold so I kept turning it up slowly but it was still cold and I think it's on about 25C now yet the normal type thermometer is saying the water is 22C and the stick on one says it's 21C I think. :dunno:

Take it easy on raising the temperature. Heaters other than heating are also meant to keep the water temp from fluctuation. Small fishes are more sensitive to fluctuation of any kind. An airstone just below the heater help to disperse the heat thru out more evenly.