CO2 Question.

Li@m

It's not a bubble counter.

co2 bubles out of the tube through the water until the yeast dies off and stops producing bubbles. I use it as a bubble counter. I agree it can't be used for accurate bubble counting like with a pressurised system but it's a great indicator for how much co2 your yeast mix is producing.

co2 bubles out of the tube through the water until the yeast dies off and stops producing bubbles. I use it as a bubble counter. I agree it can't be used for accurate bubble counting like with a pressurised system but it's a great indicator for how much co2 your yeast mix is producing.

But In the diagram the small bottle contains no water so it cant be a bubble counter.

I agree that if it contained water it could then be used as one

If you want it as a bubble counter you would take the inlet tube down to almost the bottom then add a little water so as to see the bubbles but leave enough space for any overflow. There is not a lot of point having a bubble counter on a system where you cannot realy adjust the flow of gas.

The amount of yeast is not too important as it multiplies in the presence of air and ferments without it.If you get your yeast working properly before you add the sugar it will be away right from the start.

I'm genuinely interested in this comment alan, can you explain it further? I get the feeling there's something to learn here that you're alluding to but I don't quite get the full potential of it. How do you 'get your yeast working properly' without sugar?

1 Use a wine yeast --it will ferment for longer as beer and bakers yeasts are killed off by lower concentrations of ethanol.

2 Mix your yeast with a teaspoon of warm water and some yeast nutrient from the home brew shop (a little vegemite will do also)

3 Put the mix in a small bottle with cotton wool in the top and keep it warm until it is working well (producing bubbles)

4 Add to main sugar mix and connect to system.

Yeast multiplies in the presence of oxygen and ferments in the absence of.