Swim with the sharks

maxim_nz

I can now say I have swum with sharks!! You can at the National Aquarium (Napier) go swimming in the large oceanarium tank with 2.5M sharks and decent sized stingrays (not quite the monster sized stingrays I've seen out coromandel, but decent enough) The day I dunked in recently only one other brave soul tried it with me.. tip: fill your wet suit up with hot water under the shower beforehand as temp in tank was about 14C (brrrrr) according to my gadget watch.. Well the other swimmer piked out after 5mins, and so I had the place all to myself.. felt like a NatGeo diver swimming directly above one of the large sharks as it swam only 30cm under me and I tracked it along. I did give myself a couple of oh-oh moments when the sharks pivoted around up the wall right back at me, but they are very used to people and ignored me totally. I highly recommend it to any fish enthusiast as probably the ultimate in-tank experience you can have in NZ. Of course just visit the aquarium and checking out the tanks is a given! You can swim as long as you can handle the cold (I did about 45mins) and I will do it again anytime I back in Napier.

http://www.nationalaquarium.co.nz/swim-with-the-sharks.asp

Recommended++

Anyone else done it?

they're awesome aren't they. they are so graceful when they swim, yet the perfect predator. i swam with sharks while i was in belize. the nurse sharks were so used to the tourist boats, they flocked to our boat as it arrived so that when we jumped in the water we were surrounded by them. the reef sharks were much less sociable, and had more of an air of danger about them. also got face to face with a manitee

• 1 month later...