July 19, 201115 yr comment_447339 Hi I'm interested in breeding some guppies. I have a few questions to ask... 1) I've read on a few turtle sites and it seems that guppies will breed in a turtle(RES) tank. I understand if the female gets pregnant she will slow down. Is it okay to put her in a breeder trap to drop? And can I raise fry in the breeder trap? 2) I understand that the turtle may eat the guppies. How can I lower the chance of him eating them? I was thinking of adding something where the guppies can hide in and the turtle can't, like a ornament with holes or something. 3) is it ok to feed the fry micro worms? Any suggestions or ideas is wanted, and also can someone in Kapiti supply a few guppies(M &F) I don't want to be paying $20 for 2 sick fish at the LFS ... Thanks in advance Matt Report
July 19, 201115 yr comment_447342 1. Guppies will breed anywhere. If you were pregnant you would slow down too! Breeding traps can be used but I always found they stressed out the females too much. You can't raise fry in a breeding trap as they need room to grow out. 2. Turtles will eat guppies. Lower the chances by not putting them together. 3. You can feed guppy fry microworms. Are you wanting to breed the guppies just to feed the turtles? Report
July 19, 201115 yr Author comment_447343 It's not to feed the turtle, he gets fed regularly on pellets and hot house turtle food. It's something that interests me I guess keeps me entertained when there's nothing to do. If I were to set up a new tank,(I saw a video of a guy taking dirty water out of his filter and putting it the new tank and someone else did it with gravel) I would take some media out of my canister and put it into a sponge filter(has a sponge inside and a nix plastic box around it eheim one) how long would it take to cycle? And would it just be some sponge out of my canister into the sponge? Report
July 20, 201115 yr comment_447389 My guppy breeding set up is a 2ft tank filled with this stuff http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Decorations/auction-392130152.htm you can also use java moss. Stick in a heater set to 28 degrees, an aqua one clearview 300 hang on filter (with a bit of filterwool covering the intake) and about 1M and 3F and they will multipy in no time :thup: Feed powdered flakes for the fry with a few larger flakes for the adults. Thats the easiest, cheapest option in my opinion. You can use a smaller tank but a 2ft gives plenty of room for the fry to grow out EDIT: I found with only 4 fish in the 2ft it sort of cycles itself quite quickly with no issues as long as you do a 20% water change every 3 or so days. Also a bare bottom tank is easier to clean for a breeding tank Report
July 20, 201115 yr comment_447395 Just run the filter in your turtyle tank for a few days, then transfere water and the filter over, this is what I do when setting up new tanks and never had a problem. I have never done it in a turtle tank though Report
July 20, 201115 yr Author comment_447396 Hey that sounds pretty easy so how big of a tank would I need for 2 or guppies? There is a tank on TM that is 16L is that big enough? Report
July 20, 201115 yr comment_447411 It probably would be, but not for babies. You can get a 2ft for about $40 new, less second hand Report
July 20, 201115 yr comment_447447 Hey that sounds pretty easy so how big of a tank would I need for 2 or guppies? There is a tank on TM that is 16L is that big enough? You mean this one --- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/Fish/Fish-tanks-aquariums/auction-392531425.htm IMO it should be alright Report
July 20, 201115 yr Author comment_447457 Yup I even have a nice little spot for it on my study desk.... Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_447537 your local pet store will have one for the same price if your gonna pay for delivery Report
July 21, 201115 yr Author comment_447551 Very true. His tanks are to small and there's sick fish in like every tank. Better to get healthy fish shipped than get sick fish locally. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.