P.H ?

undergroundfish

Hard or basic?

GH and KH are more important that pH, if your water is coming out of the tap at 7.5 and you want it lower than that then you really need to know the hardness. If the hardness is low it may be as simple as adding a bit of driftwood and/or peat to your tank, but if the water has a high mineral content (if you're getting it from a spring/bore in a limestone area, for example) you may need to look at collecting rainwater or a Reverse Osmosis unit.

Perhaps you could explain it for all of us then and answer the OP's question.

I'm no chemist, but I always thought that high hardness made it difficult to lower pH (ie the water has more "buffer") but I guess not if they have nothing to do with each other..

pH (small p and Capital H) is minus the log of the hydrogen ion concentration. Put into english that is that 7 is neutral and if you add an acid to neutral water at 7 and one drop takes the pH from 7 to 6 then it will take 10 drops to take it to 5 and 100 drops to take it to 4. An acid is a solution that provides hydrogen ions (hydrogen atoms with an electron missing). Conversally if you add an alkali (a solution that provides hydroxyl ions) to a neutral solution and one drop moves it from 7 to 8 then it will take 10 drops to move it from 8 to 9.

Hardness is a measure of the amount of Calcium and magnesium ions in the water. The term hardness relates to the hardness of getting soap to lather in the water and the original measure of hardness was a titration of a known solution of soap and when the water was able to froth the hardness had been used up and the soap woul start to work.

Soap is made by boiling caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) with fat and this makes soap (sodiun stearate) and glycerine. The sodium in the soap swaps over with the calcium and forms calcium stearate which is insoluble and becomes the scum on your bath.

If you add calcium carbonate (mable chips, chalk etc) it reacts with the hydrogen ions and removes them from the water which becomes less acid.

It is not the calcium that does that but the carbonate or bicarboate (which is more soluble than carbonate).

There endith the lesson for today.

You don't. If you play with it you will be forever chasing it. The only way I know of is to add things like peat that will make it acid but unlikely to get to 5.5 I would have thought. You have to add hydrogen ions to lower the pH and hydroxyl ions to raise it above 7.

To make the water more acid you need to add hydrogen ions in the form of:

Carbonic acid from injecting CO2, tannic acid from adding driftwood or oak leaves or tea bags, or rainwater which is usually contaminated with sulphur dioxide. It will not take a lot to change it to 7.2 but 5.5 is a bit more of an ask. If I remember correctly Coca Cola is about 4.6 and that contains a lot of carbonic acid which is carbon dioxide in solution.

To make the water more acid you need to add hydrogen ions in the form of:

Carbonic acid from injecting CO2, tannic acid from adding driftwood or oak leaves or tea bags, or rainwater which is usually contaminated with sulphur dioxide. It will not take a lot to change it to 7.2 but 5.5 is a bit more of an ask. If I remember correctly Coca Cola is about 4.6 and that contains a lot of carbonic acid which is carbon dioxide in solution.

And phosphoric acid.

Thanks for that. So can someone clarify for me what putting crushed oyster shells in will do to the water in a tank?

Increase the ph and make the water harder.

I have used hydrochloric because phosphoric is milder but can cause algae problems. I don't us chemicals now, just get fish used to what I have got. Fish will tolerate a reasonable range of pH if it changes slowly. It is more important with some fish if you are trying to breed them.

So in the end I didnt listen to anyone and used my pH kit to correct the pH. When I got home from work the pH was out of wack again :an!gry

What I did do was buy a kH kit and test the hardness. As suspected my water is very hard and the water the fish came in is soft. The peat managed to bring this down a bit.

The fish had to go in or die in plastic bags so I took the risk.

For now they seem to be ok I used stress coat, and stress zhyme also

I admit I was a little unprepared for the arrival. and the tank is only a temporary measure while I sort there proper one