Geophagus altifrons / surinamensis with tetras

Kinbote

I used to have a flok of neons with my G. altifrons... they all disapeared one by one during the nights.. and this was when my Geos were only 1/3rd of full size..

At the price of Cardinals I would definitely not do it..

I have 2 Geos at full size now and I keep some Red Phanthoms, Penguins and Silvertips with them.. no problems at all.

they will eat anything small, i had a half grown one eat a german ram cichlid. Its not hard to think that something small will get eaten by something big... simple maths.

I'm not sure that that has anything to do with maths... :D but if they'll eat a ram, then the high bodied tetras being recommended presumably wouldn't fare any better either.

I'm not sure that that has anything to do with maths... :D but if they'll eat a ram, then the high bodied tetras being recommended presumably wouldn't fare any better either.

IMO GZ_Loach's Geo that ate a Ram must have been one rouge G. altifrons... That would be the exception I think.

My G. altifrons male (20+ cm) and female lives happily with 9 Red Phanthoms, 3 Penguins, 2 Glowlights and 1 Silver Tip Tetra... and always have been since the geos were smaller and there were more of them.. it was only the Neons that disappeared...

I would keep Tetras with Geos any day!.. just not anything neon/cardinal size.

And about the fish math.... way off!... there are some gentle giants out there where this "math" does not apply.

The tetras might be faster than a ram and less likely to be eaten? Then again someone of MFK put up a pic of one of their large (20cm+) alrifrons that had choked on a small-ish barb (golden, IIRC), so I'm not sure if I'd count on it.

But people suspect that the barb was dead at the time, right? You'd figure that that's got to be the exception -- a species that routinely chokes to death trying to eat things too big for it isn't going to be around for long.

Big fish eats little fish is only true as long as the big fish is a piscivore, which I thought the geos mostly weren't.

FWIW mine have never eaten another fish. They are full grown adults. Had them 3 years.

I have kept guppies with them, currently have seven Longfin Zeb Danios and 6 guppies.

They spend too much time digging to worry bout the other fish.

Big fish eats little fish is only true as long as the big fish is a piscivore, which I thought the geos mostly weren't.

I think you are absolutely right.. which is why I joked earlier that that they didn't "mean to" eat my neons.. but if a sleepy neon hangs around in front of their snout they might just grab the opportunity.

And yes weird things will always happen like a geo eating a Ram or choking on a Barb but that is out of the ordinary... like 1/1000 chance, and then of course it gets posted on MFK.