colour spectrum with metal halides

GZ_Loach

I currently have a twin 150w metal halide fitting with one 10k lamp and one i believe to be between 7-9k

I have twisted val, java moss, sagg and java fern in the tank, I was wondering if i could throw in some lamps that are between 12-14k - would that still be fine for plants?

I quite like the blue tint the water gets 8)

You might find that it takes a few days/weeks for the plants to respond to the change and they might slow down ever so slightly while they settle in but I don't think it'd be noticeable to the naked eye. It's a bit like moving the lights closer or further away - it's a change so will take some getting used to.

I think it'll be great for the plants ultimately. I'm going to go 10000k even up to 20000k as a test the next time I order bulbs. My 10000k t5s out perform my 6500k halides at the moment. Different tank though...

How much should a 150w MH lamp cost? and is there any difference between the aquarium brands and those that i can get from an electrical distributor?

Locally they're really seriously expensive. From international sites they're about $20-$30. The one time I tried to get local ones at 6000k or higher they were $180+ as the standard is warm white which isn't much help for growing plants.

I asked a dealer on trademe and they were selling them for $70 each :cry: no way im going to spend that much on a single lamp :facepalm:

I actually paid $50 a piece for mine when I got them because I needed them on the day and given that I was quoted close to $200 each I figured it was a fair enough price. I've since learnt some patience.

I have the 20k's in now and they don't appear to be as blue/purple as they are on saltwater tanks, in fact they just look white with a light blue fade to them

Probably because the marine tanks also have actinics.