Refractometer

reef

INFO

What is it? - A refractometer provides quick measurements that indicate the exact amount of dissolved salts in water. This rugged laboratory quality hand held refractometer is incredibly accurate and exceptionally easy to use. The dual scale precisely and consistently tests +/- 1% from: specific gravity 1.000 / 0 ppt. to specific gravity 1.070 / 92 ppt. How does it work? - Simply place a few drops of aquarium water on the prism and place the prism cover on top. Hold it towards a light. Look through the adjustable eye piece. It reads in percent and specific gravity. Ideal for hypo salinity to brine applications. An absolute must for brackish water, marine fish and reef aquarium keepers.

Light travels at different velocities in different mediums. A few drops of aquarium water are placed between two pieces of light transmitting material. Light goes through a high quality optical prism. The light beam bends at different rates with different density solutions. This is called refraction. Simply looking through the eye piece will give you exact salinity and specific gravity measurements.

Why do you need it? - It is well known that inexpensive glass hydrometers are grossly inaccurate. It is generally agreed that the vast majority of plastic specific gravity testers do not yield consistent or accurate results. If a hydrometer is wrong by +/- .002 or more specific gravity units, calcium test results can be inaccurate +/- 75 ppm. to 100+ ppm! Meaningful testing for all ions related to successful marine fish and reef keeping is impossible. In order to evaluate the initial quality of marine salts and/or accurately test for calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and other important ions that may require periodic supplementation, it is essential to first determine the honest specific gravity or salinity of your marine aquarium water. Without first determining honest specific gravity or salinity adding the proper amount of supplements to obtain optimal levels is at best a guess. This refractometer takes the guess work and confusion out of testing specific gravity and salinity.

CP2113.jpg

I found a NZ supplier of these units about 3 months ago

I was quoted $150 + GST + freight (Normal price $189 + GST).

they are in CHCH.

I have just asked price for 5 units from him, see what he comes up with.

but on 5 units from the US the frieght go down quite low.....

I think it best to import 10 direct from the chineese manufacture and flog em that way.....

would anyone be interested

Please PM me.....

Added a refractometer to equipment; Tested water and had a FIT!!!

The hydrometer I have been using reads 1.020 when the water is 1.025 with refractometer.

So I have been over salting the tanks for years!!!! @ 1.030

Had to do water adjustment to correct