Fish tank cruelty

ally07

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they would bearly be able to move.

Wouldn't mind building a small lake with an underwater veiwing areas and chuck some of those South American monsters in it

I've seen arapima in a pond before and even that looked too small for them - cannot imagine them in a tank which would fit inside a room. :facepalm:

I think I can see the body of a stergon in that first one. they can get to some massive sizes too

Massive is an understatement, don't know what species it is, but some species of sturgeon get to 5 meters 1000+kg. It's probably a shortnose sturgeon, they only get to 3-4 feet.

Some nice fish in some of those tanks that's for sure. Even though they are in a really small tank in contrast to fish size/amount, and I'm no expert either but most of them appear to be somewhat healthy. I guess it all depends how you look at it, and how you feel about it after seeing it. Not encouraging overstocked tanks or anything, i'd always want to give my fish as much space as I possibly can. But hey on the bright side, i'm sure they are looked after to some extent. Even though a little more swimming space wouldn't go unappreciated. But yeah, whatever floats some peoples boats I guess.

Just thinking of feeding here.. To ensure that all the fish get a good amount of food, you'll first have to overfeed the biggest fish before any trickles down to the little guys who will probably still end up underfed. The bioload of the overfed fish with rotting leftovers must be intense! I doubt if even Henward or David R's filtration systems could handle that kind of bioload.

JBL or JDM? :-?

The last one with the arapima is fake for sure. The others, I'm 50/50 on them. If the fish are healthy and the water is clean then is it really an issue? I could think of far worse scenarios than a heavily stocked and well maintained tank.

Hows this for over-stocked;

400g.jpg

luckily thats just the 4' wide end of the tank (not the length!).... :P

If the fish are healthy and the water is clean then is it really an issue?

if you kept a medium sized dog in a 3m x 3m fenced area for its entire life but it was healthy an well feed does that make it ok? no it doesn't.

those tanks in the first couple post make me sick, its definitely cruel no matter how good the tank bio is.its not natural an its plain disgusting.just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should

I don't eat battery chickens or pigs for this reason an only buy freerange meat, although admitidly I have eaten my far share of fastfoods :oops:

IMO fish keeping is about replicating the outdoor environments as best as you can for your fish not only for there health an breeding but for the sakes that your gona rob the wild stock which is often depleted as it is for your own selfish desires. If your not doing that then whats the point in owning them in the first place?