Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Single Parents

Featured Replies

Well I'v been a solo dad since the start of the year and have a 50/50 arangement with my sons mummy. Fairly good terms and everything.

Was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation adn how they did things?

My biy is three and at the hard out question and convo stage.

How have people introduced new partners exc to them, and with christmas exc how have they coped?

Hi.

My parents split when I was 5 and from what I remember I handled it quite well.

they took turns with christmass and other holidays and sumtimes shared the days, ie one morning one arvo.

The main thing is that your both there for him. I think the reason it never affected me much was because dad was always around and he didn't move out of town till I was in my teens and then he would come down to pick us up on the week end.

As for partners, my father always introduced them as good friend and wasn't till I was older that I realised they were girl friends, only knew my step mum was cuz they got real serious.

Hope that helps from the kids point of view.

My boy was 18 months when I split from his Dad.

Yeah tricky with new partners, when to introduce etc. I had my boy all the time so it was difficult to meet people, without him around! I would say make sure its someone you want to hang around before you introduce them, apart from as friends...

At least if you have 50/50 you have plenty of time for you, and to meet people in that time, and get to know them etc before introducing them into your boys life as well.

My boy is now 7 and I have a great partner and he also has 2 kids. Onwards and upwards :)

Oh and for Christmas, never been an issue as my ex lives overseas.

i have been a solo dad from the start of last year

i dont have the promblem of 50/50 as she only sees them once in a blue moon

christmas me and the kids went to my mates this year we heading to aussie

my girls almost 4 and my son is 2 and a half.

my Father would inroduce us to his parteners and we would have meet/got to know them a few times before any stayed the night.

I think you do have to be carefull when it comes to parteners as to the children it can feel like you are replacing their mother for them as well, particulary if they live with you most the time.

though I was only young when this all when down so might be different for infants or teens

I know my brother had a hard time excepting our now step mother.

Just putting this out there, I grew up in a single parent family with my mum. But I think (particulary as a girl) I would also have been quite upset to find strange people in my parents bed. Probably more so if I had lived with my dad. You don't want her growing up thinking casual is the norm so I'd be careful when it comes to your little girl.

Having said that, my dad left when I was 7 and I havent seen him since (now 18), so big ups to you for sticking by your kids! :thup:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.