June 1, 201115 yr comment_437553 hi today we caught a baby eel are they easy to keep it is only about 6cm long thanks? Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_437565 6cm.... are you sure it is an eel? I thought they were longer when they get to freshwater. COuld be though, I don't have much experience with them. At that stage they are incredibly good climbers. Will quite happily climb vertical surfaces, so you need a good lid, or preferably a tank with a internal lip all the way around AND a lid. It would probably eat small live invertebrates at that size. And you are unlikely to see much of it as they burrow under the substrate, often with only the head poking out. Report
June 1, 201115 yr comment_437568 Ive seen eels at 6cm at the local river and a pond at the golf course. I had one from the river bout 5 cm in a 20L tank. I reckon theyd like stone/gravel or sand substrate. cold water. Lots of hiding spaces. And id say feed it bugs found in a pond or a river. +1 on the lid. Mine crawled out luckily i heard it fall out. Good luck Report
June 11, 201115 yr comment_439633 We used to catch them as kids in tat nth open road side drains. Pet shops in Auckland couldn't buy enough of them. No more old road side open drains any more. All piped up now. Report
June 11, 201115 yr comment_439647 I kept a couple as a kid... We fed them on very small worms. Great to watch. They would appear only moments after dropping the worm in the water. Greatest sense of smell. While working for a local council I remember seeing literally thousands of these small eels making their way up an outlet pipe from an oxidation pond. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.