pond fish

chimera

my boss owns a farm with a few dam's on it. one of them he chucked a couple hundred gold fish in (it's about 2.2 million litres he estimates) two weeks later there are none (or very few) gold fish left. he's now assuming eel's in there ate them. is this a correct assumption?!!! what sort of freshwater fish would be suitable for it? can you keep freshwater lobster and thing like that in a dam? apparently its very clean and clear water.

If this dam is 2.2 millinon littres *dreams of a tank that big* then maybe they are spread out. It must be a pretty big area for the fish to spread out. They could be browsing on what is to eat at the bottom too. Eels might not be the only reason for the no show of the goldies

I had a guy from nwia suggest to me that I put whitebait in a tank, (I was asking him about rain water quality in Wlg), as I understand it (but could well be wrong) there are 4 (I think) types of fish that make up whitebait one of which was trout. Anyway my point is why not catch some whitebait and put them in the pond, be very interesting to see what fish you end up with.

If were talking about the common eel. Those things can be great explorers. They will slide along rocks on the river side if it means getting somewhere they want to go. They can even get up small whater falls.

A long time ago my family where camping about 7 meters from a river and we were woken in the night by 2 eels that made their way up the side of the tent. Their trails remain on the tent today as colour has been left slietly lighter where the slime was.

yea what trout theres no trout

Reminds me of a joke, modified to suit the situation...

Chimera and his boss were walking along the banks of a river with a couple of buckets full of live trout, when a Fisheries Officer comes out of nowhere. The officer takes one look in the buckets and says "Those trout look a little small don't they guys? And do you have a fishing license?".

Chimera quickly responds, "What, these? Naw mate, these here are our PET fish. Every week or so we bring them out to the river here for a swim. When it's time to go home, we just wistle and they swim back to the bucket and we go.".

"Sure, mate that's a new one." The officer says, reaching for his ticketbook.

"No really." says Chimera. "Watch." And he takes the buckets down to the bank and pours the trout out into the river. The fish prompty dart away.

The fisheries officer exclaims "I've gotta see this. Alright mate, wistle and lets see those fish come back."

"What fish?" ;)