Advice on making my cave

mcrudd

Hi guys

I read somewhere on the forums about cutting a flowerpot in half and then glueing gravel to it, to make a super looking cave. I would like to buy a small little flowerpot, half it and do that. So here comes the question, what do I use to glue the gravel. I thought of buying the aquarium safe silicon from animates but nearly fell over when I saw the price. Is there a silicone from bunnings that is aquarium safe I could try instead. Someone also suggested apoxy resin, but I am super scared I am gonna kill my fish. Could you guys please advice me what to use and how long it must dry before going into the tank :dunno:

Thanks Squirt and GZ_Loach :thup: Just a stupid question, but what should it say on the silicone so I know I have the right one. I have read through several today and did not see safe in aquariums on one of them, so does it say something different?

Make sure you post pics when it's finished :spop:

sure, you just love pics don't you :sml1: Might have pics of all the harlequins sooner than a week, I might have to put them in my main tank tomorrow, if I notice that the temp is too low again. My heater needs replacing then :nilly:

The tubes that are used for "windows/glazing" usually have something about being suitable for water immersion, some even go as far as saying they are safe for aquariums. The Sika brand says on all tubes to use their glazing silicone, clear colour for under water applications

Most hardware stores should have it, such as Mitre10 or Bunnings, just make sure you read the label properly, it should say safe for aquariums, if it doesn't, don't risk it no mater what the salesperson says.

Do not get one with mould inhibitors in it either, this is usually sold as bathroom sealant.

The one I have at the moment is Fosroc Silaflex RTV, but there are other brands.

Thanks Zev, I just walked over to hammer hardware and bought the shelley one, it clearly said safe for aquarium use. I also got a little potplant for a dollar fifty, the silicone was twenty dollars but I could not be bothered to wait until my hubby can drive me into Botany to get it for a bit cheaper at Bunnings. He has manflue :facepalm: I will wait until he awakens and then ask him to tell me where the tools are to cut the little clay pot, I am so excited. Will take photo's as I do it :spop:

I have one of those!

Plan to spend the day trying to make slate caves and doing my economics assignment :lol:

Shame had him at the doctor and it turned out to be mumps :o

I finished my two little caves, I love how they came out, now for three days to fly by so I can put it in my tank :spop:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52959