Same idiot, different questions

LordOfTheRings

Hey. Me again.

Okay. This time my questions are about the fish themselves. My tank is able to house around 12 inches of fish. Does anyone know the temperature of normal, cold tap water? And what kind of fish I could house in that temperature? The only coldwater fish I could find in fish books, other than golfish, were those Cloud Mountain Minnow things, and they seem to be the pugs of the aquatic world. I like neon tetras and I'd like some kind of catfish in my tank. Can I have tetras and catfish without having a heater? What other fish can I have in normal tap water? are there any coldwater fish that get on especially well with goldfish?

All information greatly appreciated.

Cheers :D

LotR

You don't keep fish at tap water temperature. The cold water heats up to room temperature so the fish live at room temperature. In summer, this can be as warm as tropical tanks.

Another neat little coldwater fish is the leopardfish, Phalloceros caudomaculatus.

I enjoy your posts. :lol:

I just paid a visit to Jansens in Aucks, and there are some interesting coldwater fish. I'm sure you'll find some to your taste. The american flagfish (a killie) is interesting (to me) if not bold, but I don't mind the "puggish" mountain minnows either. ;)

Good Luck.

There is no such thing as a cold water guppy! Guppies can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and can be kept at room temperature. That is what is referred to as a cold water guppy. Not so cold, just don't need a heater in a modern, well insulated house. There is no difference between them and any other guppy. They should never be sold as cold water guppies!!!

I visted Hollywood fish farm on saturday and I saw these "cold water guppies"

I did have many questions about these when I saw them. Being HFF I expected they new what they were on about

~edit~

The HFF staff told me through selective breeding they have made ones that will have a greater chance of surviving a winter.

Okay, I've scouted some pet stores and have narrowed my selection down to:

Guppies

Minnows - even if they do look like pugs :)

Tetras of some sort

Catfish - probably a plecostomus

Possibly those pale fish with no eyes. Dunno

Which one/s of these would be best for someone new to this?

Is there a chance that any of the fish in my list would particularly dislike another type of fish in my list?

Would they all be able to live in a heated tank?

Could I feed them all the same thing?

LotR :D

some wholesalers sell guppies that are used to coldwater, when shops buy them in they are listed as coldwater guppies. they are no different to other guppies, just that they are used to the cold water and you dont have to worry about getting them acclimatised.

hope that helps clear that up :)

plecs

There is no such thing as a cold water guppy! Guppies can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and can be kept at room temperature. That is what is referred to as a cold water guppy. Not so cold, just don't need a heater in a modern, well insulated house. There is no difference between them and any other guppy. They should never be sold as cold water guppies!!!

Couldnt have said it better myself. I hate to tell you this Staplez but Guppies in coldwater End up having a multitude of problems of which some are slow growth, immune system lowered, Shorter lifespans and they will quickly revert back to an ugly wild colour form.

Shae

Well its not me you will have to convince then, its the hollywood fish farm staff you'll need to convince. Believe me I had doubt about these aparent cold water guppies. Now I just doubt them even more. I've been breeding guppies for god knows how long and I know plenty about them. But I've also kept an open mind and was willing to believe that somebody has put in the effort to breed a strain that will withstand cooler climates.

There is only one sane measure of action we must take... Start a riot over at the hollywood fish farm :evil:

There is another chain of LFS in Auck. (I'm not allowed to name them) that also sell supposedly Cold water guppies.

I spoke to both owners when last in Auck. and got the same crap.

As Caryl says, try them in an unheated, uncovered, pond thru winter, and I'll drink a glass of water from my PACU tank.

You can't breed a fish to like a temperature. Go ahead and waste ya money.

DUH !

What's this about pug?

Ya got something against those kewl little doggies.

Alan 104

HI LOTR,

Hey in another post did you mention plants in your tank? If you did I would steer clear of the plecosomus. I have a "medium" (15-20cm) in my tank. And He/she is very edept at pulling out plants. Maybe not deliberatly but perhaps by the swiming action? My plants have become much better establishd now and not so much of a problem.