Another how to rid my tank of snails thread

hovmoller

Have anyone out there succesfully used a "snail rid" product and eliminated all your snails without damage to fish, plants, etc.?

Yes I know about traps, loaches, etc. to minimise snails but just want to hear from someone who have used a snail rid product and their experience.

Thanks!

try trumpet snails or apple snails

apparently trumpet snails are bad for their teeth but I will try apple snails. Its so cute when they hunt and eat the snails, they creep up on them and suck them right out of the shell and then they put their head in the shell like a cat does with a box and wiggle about to get every last bit of the snail :slfg:

Snail rid is copper sulphate solution and contains a warning that it should not be used with fish unless the hardness is above 50ppm (mg/litre or about 3 degrees dH). Since the tap water in Christchurch is about 45ppm hardness many pet shops have stopped stocking it because people come back saying their fish have died. I have used it at 2-3 times the normal dose but without fish. If you add copper as metal the amount of copper in solution is unknown and will depend on lots of things including the pH. Safer to use in a known concentration. In the "good ol' days" pennies and copper wool were used to treat diseases like white spot and velvet and were left in the tank until the snails started trying to crawl out of the water. They were also the times when a floating potatoe was used to test the brine solution in a butcher's shop---a bit hit and miss.