My free tanks

Bishop

Not sure if anybody remembers but a while back a mate of Bilbo was giving away a 2000L ( ish ) tank. ( I think it was an old one from wet pets? )

Anyway, earlier I had been telling a friend that sometimes I like to pretend I am some form of supreme deity when trying to balance the eco systems in my tanks.

We discussed this for some time and my friend had decided that he too would like to have this feeling of power and greatness but it wasn't the right time for him to buy a big tank.

About a month later I saw the post on here for the free tank and thought about how it would look in my lounge. :sml1:

Out of interest I rang my friend and told him we should at least go round and have a look.

We decided that we should break the tank down and then see what possible outcomes, if any.

A few hours of breaking down the tank and almost having a 50cm shard go through my neck :facepalm: we took the glass and the base away in a big truck and dumped it in my garage.

These are the results...

Both roughly 400L

Tank 1

tank1.jpg

tank4.jpg

Tank 2

tank3.jpg

tank2.jpg

Cost me 1 roll of tape, 2 tubes of silicone and a box of screws.

Pretty chuffed :smln:. So thanks go out to Bilbo for hooking me up with the great deal.

My 3rd and 4th tank build and still learnt a lot. The smaller one is going to my friend but not sure about the bigger one may put it up for sale. :dunno:

Also have some images from during the build but not sure how many images I can post here?

ha, funny you should post.

If I do end up keeping it I was thinking about making a paludarium. Even have the rain system worked out.

Be a lot of $$ though, but in a nutshell I would need a bit of your experience planting the thing as I would rather plant everything at once.

Yes, I don't tend to do most things on a small budget, :o but I'm sure it can be done somehow. :dunno:

As for plant ideas, I'm sure we can work something out after the meeting next Sunday. There are a few people that might be able to throw some ideas around as well.

You can post as many pics as you like.

Any how.... getting to the more important part of all this ----- WHEN CAN I PLANT THEM? :slfg: :slfg: :slfg: :slfg: :slfg:

Please?

You can plant mine, I have no idea what I'm going to put in there lol

How did that tank break?

The bits of glass that were in there was because of the guy who was in possession of it was smashing the bracing. Unfortunately he also chiped a lot of the glass, but I think I managed to hide most of it.

The base had a big crack through it which had been patched but was leaking, which meant I could only save a little of the base. Not sure how it broke in the first place though.

Thanks for those pics Bilbo, I am not sure what was in that tank but I spilt some of it on me and everybody took a wide berth around me for the rest of that day :facepalm:

So for those or any that are interested here is a little of the process. I missed quite a few important shots as I forgot I was keeping record.

Sorry for the quality but I am sure you can see what is going on....

precut.jpg

dodgybase.jpg

preclean.jpg

debracing.jpg

tankspace.jpg

tank1-1.jpg

tank2-1.jpg

Bit busy but will add captions later.

Somebody in my area is getting rid of a few fx5's, if I didn't have to get my suspension done on the car the tank may have developed sooner rather than later.

Bah humbug.

Ooh, FX5s...Wait, nah, I actually have a surplus of filters right now anyway.