Acrylic tanks?

bdspider

perspex is very expensive, i used some in a joinery job i did & a 2400x1200x9mm was arund $900 per sheet. As for a material for a tank, it is soft & flexible so won't shatter like glass but the softness means it will scratch & become opaque very easily. You can use scrubbers on glass as they are softer than it, my money is on a cleaner scratching it easily. you only need to look at an older style boat with perspex windows so see how bad they can get.

When I bought some small pieces of acrylic for building the drip tray in my sump I'm sure Mulfords quotes me about that for the same sized sheet in 25mm!! Maybe it was the prong price...

maybe i got ripped or your bits were offcuts or something. not sure either way but even at around $400 for a 9mm sheet it is nasty.

2400x600x600 in 10mm glass will be about half that, maybe less. The cost with glass increases if you go much wider than 2' as its harder to get offcuts that big and often required new glass. I'd be interested to see what they charge for 2400x900x600 (LxWxH).

I guess "new" isn't really the right word, most tanks are made from offcuts which are new but a lot cheaper than buying whole big sheets and cutting them up. Thats why it starts getting expensive if you go wider than 600mm as its pretty rare to have offcuts that big. I was lucky that Greg had a piece of tinted 12mm glass 2400x977 for the base of my big tank, otherwise the price would have nearly doubled!

• 4 months later...

My hubby works for a plastics company in Mt Wellington and he just got me a huge piece of acrylic recently .. from memory it was about 75cm by 150cm and I think it was 12mm thick... will have to find my old post about it. Anyhow, he says it was going to cost $85 but they gave it to him free. So it sounds like wherever those prices are coming from they are WAY too expensive. A 64L tank doesn't use that much glass, so I couldn't see one made out of acrylic being that expensive :dunno: