Acrylic tanks?

bdspider

Enquiring for someone who sent me an email asking and I have no idea....

Where do you get acrylic tanks from? Or who makes them? This person is in Chch but would probably consider NZ wide places.

He is asking as his glass tanks all got ruined in earthquakes. Would an acrylic really be that much better? I know Fishfreaks acrylic tank broke not cos it fell but the wave action's pressure burst a hole in the side :/

I spotted an auction on TM last week for custom tanks made in Wellington. I've also had great service from Bay Plastic Fabrication Ltd in Tauranga who happily ship. Their contact details are at http://www.bayplastic.co.nz/

The key is that the acrylic is not glued together like glass - it's bonded at the cellular level so essentially the tank is one piece of acrylic once it's all stuck together. Looks damn good too (but can scratch easier than glass if you're a bit rough).

I got a quote from a place on trademe that was advertising a big 1/4 round acrylic tank and they seemed ridiculously expensive. I asked for a price for one the same as my biggest tank (240x98x62cm) and they asked why bother with such a small tank, so I asked for a price for one 10'x4'x30" (had just been looking at this US site selling acrylic tanks and that was about the largest size they did) and they quoted something like $14k saying it needed 40mm thick acylic.

I'd be interested to find someone in NZ who makes large acrylic tanks as it seems like a good option for massive tanks, where as glass would have to be manufactured on site and would pretty much be immovable. But at the price they quoted it would be cheaper to ship one from the states with a couple of Ultima filters stuffed inside it for good measure!

Just curious - how much lighter is acrylic than glass? I suppose if acrylic was clearer and easier to transport than glass for a fraction more, it would be more popular than glass tanks. But $14k is just stupid, you could buy a couple of high end aros for the price of the tank alone!

Yeah $14k seems crazy, look at some of the sizes/prices in the link I posted, $4692US ($6k NZ) for 120x48x30", but I imagine shipping would cost a bomb. Glass would almost certainly be cheaper, I'll have to ask Greg next time I see him, but the problem with glass is that it would need to be made on site or moved with a hiab or forklift.

Biggest downside with acrylic is that it scratches easier than glass, but on the up side you can repair the scratches, unlike glass.

the thing you have to be careful about with acrylic is when moving it make sure it has the protective paper on it.

i looked into making on a few months ago but the hardest thing is finding the solvent glue i could only find the stuff the acrylic manufractures had and thats $22 for a toothpaste tube sized.

i can get a 4 foot for around $450-500, 10mm with corner overflow

You can also get the scratches, out