Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kauri in the aquarium?

Featured Replies

Soak and/or boil it first if you're concerned. I'm not sure about how much sap would be left in small branches shed by the three, but I think boiling would help.

  • Author

Ok scratch that then, I don't think the pavement counts as a swamp and last time I used wood found out on the beach it grew a horrible slime. Don't care if it's normal, I don't want that back again. :nilly:

any other sort of twigs you guys know will be OK?

Horrible slime is ok though (at least the kind I have seen)

Looks absolutely horrible but its only a "first wave" of bacteria, then later other bacteria outcompete it and the slime goes away..

I always tend to use wood that has no bark on it.. (stuff hides under the bark... germs and stuff)

  • Author

This will be going in a tank that I am trying to get fish to breed in so need to keep the water as clean and fungus free as possible at least until I think I know what I'm doing. Since oak leaves are OK, maybe the twigs are also alright if I boil them too? :dunno:

I would think that any of the broadwoods would be fine as they are not sap heavy, I would be cautious about any of the podocarps/conifers as they tend to be full of sap.

Well dead dried/washed podocarp wood should be fine, and I'm sure that some of the wood that I have would be native podocarp.

Head to the beach I am sure you will find something suitable - although you may have to go a bit further away from Auckland to find a beach that has driftwood on it.

  • Author

as it's a cory tank I will stay away from wood that could have salt in it but I'm sure I can find something suitable at the park instead.

Charles has given me plenty of trees to go hunting under :bow:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.