Tiger barbs with bites

knightmarc

I've got a 300litre community tank which has 15 tiger barbs in it, they have been there for about 2 months and last week I noticed one had a hole or bite on it's side so I quarantined it for afew days and it was looking better.

Yesterday I noticed atleast 3 now have the same bites and saw some being nipped at, they leave the other fish alone.

Anyone know why this maybe happening I do have the temp higher than normal for tiger barb 30C as it's better for the other tankmates, Discus, blue Ram, fire eel, bristlenose & pearl gouriumi

Tiger barbs are about as peaceful as it gets IF you have them in a decent sized schoal. Increase their numbers and things will sort out; but having said that 15 is a good number.

It is more likely that the tiger barbs are being picked on by a different species.

Tiger barbs are about as peaceful as it gets IF you have them in a decent sized schoal.

I'd have to disagree. My uncle had a large planted tank a few years back with 30+ tiger barbs and all they did was kill other tank mates.

Also seen large groups at animates that pick on other fish.

Never seen them fight others of the same species though. I'd agree with Caryl in saying it could be the fire eel

thanks for the replys, found the article on PFK and some other stuff through google.

Seems it's natural for them as agro lil buggers, small group and they may target other fish, large group and they are busy targeting each other sorting out pecking order. So just have to hope none die from their bites and they sort themselves out.

I have actually seen them bite each other now so know it's not other fish.