Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tiger barbs with bites

Featured Replies

I've got a 300litre community tank which has 15 tiger barbs in it, they have been there for about 2 months and last week I noticed one had a hole or bite on it's side so I quarantined it for afew days and it was looking better.

Yesterday I noticed atleast 3 now have the same bites and saw some being nipped at, they leave the other fish alone.

Anyone know why this maybe happening I do have the temp higher than normal for tiger barb 30C as it's better for the other tankmates, Discus, blue Ram, fire eel, bristlenose & pearl gouriumi

Tiger barbs are about as peaceful as it gets IF you have them in a decent sized schoal. Increase their numbers and things will sort out; but having said that 15 is a good number.

It is more likely that the tiger barbs are being picked on by a different species.

Tiger barbs are about as peaceful as it gets IF you have them in a decent sized schoal.

I'd have to disagree. My uncle had a large planted tank a few years back with 30+ tiger barbs and all they did was kill other tank mates.

Also seen large groups at animates that pick on other fish.

Never seen them fight others of the same species though. I'd agree with Caryl in saying it could be the fire eel

I've never had a problem with them. It does pay to avoid keeping them with long finned fish etc.

There was a good article on PFK a week or so ago that I'd recommend reading knightmarc.

  • Author

thanks for the replys, found the article on PFK and some other stuff through google.

Seems it's natural for them as agro lil buggers, small group and they may target other fish, large group and they are busy targeting each other sorting out pecking order. So just have to hope none die from their bites and they sort themselves out.

I have actually seen them bite each other now so know it's not other fish.

I know they have this reputation but all the tiger barbs I have kept over the years have been calm and peaceful members of the community. Never seen a bite or nip in, or from, any of them :dunno:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.