silicone for tanks

Chug

Yeah true, I guess it depends on build style. I just built 2 400L tanks on 2 tubes and have 1/4 left.

Although in saying that, look out for a possible up coming thread that says 800L of water on my floor :slfg:

• 1 month later...

2 tubes seems alot but better to go more than less. I would suggest having nice straight taped edges if your planning on doing it for the first time, keep a rag handy an keep your hands nice an clean. leave it 48hours to cure an give it a good couple of washes before using. make sure you clean the surfaces before applying an remember to wipe off excess asap, if any drys an is left it can be removed with a thin blade(try avoid craft knife blades) ive also heard sunlight soap is good for getting it clean, ive always used turps and never had any issues with so called "smudging"

also ive used selleys stuff, imo its way overpriced but it does the job an unless you gona buy a pack of 12/24 its hardly worth attempting to get a better deal.

always read the back of the tube it will say weither its ok for aquarium or not

Actually more is not better than less. The extra glue does nothing but make it look ugly. If a tank is glued together properly it will be waterproof and the fillet just makes it easier to clean. Have a look at some of the tanks that are made in China. They use very little glue and look very tidy. My main concern here is that it is proposed to not glue the tank together but to hope the fillet will hold it together. I think that is a disaster waiting to happen and I hope others do not take up with the idea.

This is one of the problems with believing that Mrs Google sits on the right hand of god and only speaks the truth. In reality anybody can say anything on the internet. The information on laminated glass is also not correct. I have built thousands of tanks and would never do it that way and I would advise you not to either.

• 3 weeks later...