Air getting trapped inside Cannister filter

GZ_Loach

I bought an AquaOne 2400 earlier this year and Am now just recently having issues with air getting trapped inside it, Just by coincidence I was in the room when the motor started making a weird dud dud dud dud dud sound, checked it out and the water was no longer passing through it - Too much air had collected inside.

So i re primed it and away it went, later that day i came back to it and rocked it back and fourth to check for more air and sure enough a bit came out (and dirty water).

Anything I should be checking? If it was the seal surely there would be a visible water leak??

I cleaned it about 2 months ago so there shouldn't be anything blocking it up.

My EHIEM did the same

Come to think of it mine did too. In the end it took a really thorough clean to get it sorted. It's possible that the gunk in a cannister could be creating gasses as it breaks down but I doubt anybody else is as lazy as me so probably has cleaner filters than I do (or used to - I learnt my lesson).

Come to think of it mine did too. In the end it took a really thorough clean to get it sorted. It's possible that the gunk in a cannister could be creating gasses as it breaks down but I doubt anybody else is as lazy as me so probably has cleaner filters than I do (or used to - I learnt my lesson).

I'm good when it comes to cleaning my tank etc but I am pretty lazy when it comes to cleaning the aquaone filter, its such a pain in the A$$ to get the top off - Next time I buy a new filter I'm going to add "ease of maintenance" to the list of things to check. I'm glad I spent the money to get an Eheim 2280 for my new big tank, ticks all the boxes :bow:

I'll check the seal tommorow

It's unlikely to be things breaking down causing gas, there is too much water flow for gas to stay in there and the highly oxygenated water doesn't encourage the type of bacteria that releases gases.

Canister filters are designed with the motor as the last part, which means the whole canister and all the plumbing before the outlet is under negative pressure. Basically if there is a leak it will suck air in rather than leak water out. You should check all your hoses and seal and maybe put a little silicon lubricant on the seals.

I have quite a few aqua ones and have had similar probs with air. In my case I found that the problem was with the shut off valves. I found ( the hard way) that if you over tighten them they do not seal correctly and air gets into the system.

my cf1200 gets some air in it - I had assumed it was just the water de-gassing under the negative pressure, I just tilt mine to one side while running (so the taps are the high point) so the impeller is working again then slowly lower back to flat.

I am pretty lazy when it comes to cleaning the aquaone filter, its such a pain in the A$$ to get the top off
How is the top hard to get off?

Yeah I would love to know how it is hard to get the top off the aqua one filters, undo 4 latches open the outlet valve and pull it off?

I would go with Suphew here, remove all the hoses and refit them and have a good look inside them and see if you can see any air bubbles in the inlet tube and then trace them back. Lube all the seals (including the tap ones) and should be all good.

Yeah I would love to know how it is hard to get the top off the aqua one filters, undo 4 latches open the outlet valve and pull it off?

I would go with Suphew here, remove all the hoses and refit them and have a good look inside them and see if you can see any air bubbles in the inlet tube and then trace them back. Lube all the seals (including the tap ones) and should be all good.

I'll take some photos when i take it off, in short, there is nothing to grab hold of to pull the top off.

I'll take some photos when i take it off, in short, there is nothing to grab hold of to pull the top off.

with the bleed valve open it should just float off with a slight tug on the hose joints if there's nothing else to hold onto. without opening that valve it is very very hard to take the tops off.