black silica sand - fine

henward

I'd expect Southland Sand and Gravel could supply it. Years ago I purchased about 1000kg of fine sand-like gravel for several tanks (one is the 8 foot tank you now have - about 500kg went into that). It cost only about $70 for 1000kg and $600 in freight to get it to Napier...

Southland Sand and Gravel (Invercargill) have a very big range of graded sand and gravels - both size and colour graded. Maybe worth checking them out.

no its stone

i like the silica look

so its pitch black, not grey, grey is common enough.

like white silica is pure white, liek sugar

i want pure black

for the red aro, i want a balck walled tank with back bottom

also clown loaches will shine in contracts to the black substrate

I had black silica sand in my large tank and then ended up using a combination of black silica sand and fine grey sand, looks pretty good together because due to the strong flow of water in my tank the larger grain black silica sand gets seperated and sits in pockets by itself :digH:

This is the place http://www.industrialsands.co.nz/products.html Not open on the weekend.

The sand they call 'black silica sand' is the one called Iron Sand Concentrate and it is apparently black sand like west coast beach sand, as compared to the dark brown Woodhill sand which they also have. You can check the analysis of each one also.

The Iron Sand concentrate has nearly 80% ferric oxide which I think is the black stuff, Woodhill has only 22%.

from Wikipedia on ferric oxide

"Aquariums Ferric oxide in a granular form (GFO, granular-ferric-oxide) is readily available for purchase in the saltwater aquarium and reef community. Its primary function as a filtration media is to pull phosphates out of the water column to aid in the control of nuisance algae. Branded products such as PhosBan, ROWAphos, and PhosLock contain proprietary blends of granular-ferric-oxide and granular-ferric-oxide-hydroxide (GFH)."

From what I can read it looks like ferric oxide also binds other minerals etc. Does that mean it would stop the absorption of nutrients present in Flourish Excel for example?