Fish Keeping apps on android

the new guy

I have been looking around for a nice little app for my phone to help store info about my tanks and fish and haven't found anything special. so i talked to a good friend of mine who makes apps and he is interested in helping.

what i would like to know is what you beginner and expert fish keepers think and ANY ideas you might have for it?

i was thinking some ideas like complete profiles could be made up for fish if you have some really special fish(or if you like me and have 12 neons you could make 12 profiles), water parameters could be inputted then the app could be put automatically into a pie graph or something? and information can be stored on a cloud server just in case it is lost on your phone. this includes pictures and videos of fish.

it could even be used on an in expensive android powered tablet.

anyway id love to hear peoples opinions.

also - a water change reminder would be awesome. Something that calculates your stock levels and schedules water changes for you into your google calendar or similar. I can never remember when I last did a water change but I know it was within the last week. Maybe even yesterday. I may have done one every day for the last week. They're second nature to me on the display tank, not so much on the storage / holding tanks which I really should take more care of.

what i would like to know is what you beginner and expert fish keepers think and ANY ideas you might have for it?

i was thinking some ideas like complete profiles could be made up for fish if you have some really special fish(or if you like me and have 12 neons you could make 12 profiles

:facepalm: I think maybe you need to get out a bit more :dunno:

If you have a half descent phone you can just go on the net and look up profiles as you go anyway so no point building an app to do the same thing? Can't see much point in something that tracks your water changes and stuff, suspect it would end up being like most apps - cool to use in the beginning but soon gets boring and you stop using it.. Just m 2c worth though haven't even looked to see if there is anything like that for my iphone.

Good idea, just be careful with the layout. The benefit of apps vs looking for something online is most of the profiles online don't seem to be mobile friendly, making it a wreck to move around. If you can cache profiles prior to leaving your internet access area (assuming you're not on 3g) this could be a good idea. If you want to go for some fish but don't want to remember every detail. As well as poking the heads of people working there if you're unsure about something.

In the future if you incorporate it with a forum so you can browse it easily at a nice format.

At the end of the day, are you looking for a profit from this? Or will it be free? What will truly be motivating you? Since it's something like a database you will most likely have to create your own profiles (Unless you contact a website themselves,eg badmans).

If it's for profit, you're not going to have a major audience unless you target it moreso towards the states. I would look more into what it will cost to setup, how you will be funding it (Donations? Paid applications?) ect. It can be alot of work, think about how you're going to approach these. Not to put you off, just have a good think about this and discuss it with your mate.

I reckon go for it. :D

Yeah but it'd be offline. I'm on 2degrees and I have an iPhone 4 but the "cellular data" is pretty expensive. I wish I knew how to make apps :P

Yeah we have iphones with 2degrees too, the pre pay data packs are pretty cheap for them wife I pay $6 for 50mb or $10 for 100 which is quite a bit of data allows me to do quite a bit..

i love all the positive attitudes about the idea. if it is sucessfully made and is effective there will be a 1 month free trial then a small charge between $1-$3 i have bought some really cool apps for that price.

even if you have "a half decent phone" someplaces dont have internet/3g/wifi access so any data inputted would be sync when its available.

as for some you basicly saying it wouldnt be very useful, are you speaking for yourself or for everyone else?

and its not for iphone its for android.

you can also 1gb of data from 2degrees for $20 and i found it cheaper that telecom and vodafone :)

I think I get 1Gb for $1 a day.

I would use it. I just don't know how to get apps for my phone lol

lol your such a nube :)

Yeah data packs are quite cheap..

I was saying it wouldn't be much use to me personally because I have systems that keep track of everything.. However I could see the merit in something where you setup a tank maintenance schedule and it gave you a reminder to do water changes on certain tanks and maybe various things you should check (temp filter etc) every so often. Because sometimes people don't think about checking these things and it can cause issues..

^ To people like us.. I don't think it would be amazing (Unless we're new or just feel like buying a fish). But for newbies who don't know what they're buying until they go to a LFS it would work quite well.

Hell I'm sure even on the bus/train I would whip it out and look up some fish I've been thinking about.

Just curious, how to do you plan to do the profile databasing, use a different website or make your own?

be hard to find on site that would have everything. I use several diff ones for my research. and even then i have to look other places some time. i think it should be link to the import list past and present. that way you know you will be covering most the fish avalible. Could even do the database here on FNZAS and take it from there

^ To people like us.. I don't think it would be amazing (Unless we're new or just feel like buying a fish). But for newbies who don't know what they're buying until they go to a LFS it would work quite well.

Hell I'm sure even on the bus/train I would whip it out and look up some fish I've been thinking about.

Just curious, how to do you plan to do the profile databasing, use a different website or make your own?

be hard to find on site that would have everything. I use several diff ones for my research. and even then i have to look other places some time. i think it should be link to the import list past and present. that way you know you will be covering most the fish avalible. Could even do the database here on FNZAS and take it from there

i was going to be a sep website hosted by one of the friends ive got or a personal internet server. but i like the idea of the database being on here. since it is the central "playing field" for fish keepers

thats the idea to be able to "whip it out" when needed :)

lol your such a nube :)

Yeah data packs are quite cheap..

I was saying it wouldn't be much use to me personally because I have systems that keep track of everything.. However I could see the merit in something where you setup a tank maintenance schedule and it gave you a reminder to do water changes on certain tanks and maybe various things you should check (temp filter etc) every so often. Because sometimes people don't think about checking these things and it can cause issues..

i would like to know who you get your data from! lol

The idea for certain tank schedule's would be helpful.

just a reminder you maybe not get everything on the first version but could be upgraded with subsequent updates :S

is there that much to take in? what info would you need to have on hand?

the only things i need to remember are feeding in the morning and afternoon which I do on the way past to & from the car & do a water change every weekend.

Been thinking.

I don't know much about programming or app development but I have used this software called nyagua before on PC . Surely it could be ported over to android as it is open souce and written in Java (same as android apps are). It does pretty much all the stuff that has been mentioned by everyone else including a fish database pulled from the fishbase website.

I host my nyagua database file online on my Dropbox account so I can access it from any computer. Dropbox is already available for android so if it were ported I could use it on the go and sync it with other computers.

I suppose the only problem with doing this is that you wont be able to sell it and make a profit as it's open source software.

Been thinking.

I don't know much about programming or app development but I have used this software called nyagua before on PC . Surely it could be ported over to android as it is open souce and written in Java (same as android apps are). It does pretty much all the stuff that has been mentioned by everyone else including a fish database pulled from the fishbase website.

I host my nyagua database file online on my Dropbox account so I can access it from any computer. Dropbox is already available for android so if it were ported I could use it on the go and sync it with other computers.

I suppose the only problem with doing this is that you wont be able to sell it and make a profit as it's open source software.

that is very cool. i just downloaded it and checked it out. maybe something could be done with that.

is there that much to take in? what info would you need to have on hand?

the only things i need to remember are feeding in the morning and afternoon which I do on the way past to & from the car & do a water change every weekend.

i wouldn't think that it is just about having the basic information on hand but rather also to keep more advanced records for possible marine research(for the researchers out there), For instance while i am in the process of setting up my marine tank, i can log the data that i take from the water and keep a "diary" about the tank so i can refer back to it the information in the future and even for the purpose of showing others that are new to the hobby how my tank developed in the early stages and show them ideas.

I'm not just talking about the water though. im talking about water, fish, corals etc.

i have an android phone & i find it far easier to go to my pc for anything more than a basic email or text even with a keyboard to use on the phone. typing any amount of data/info on the keyboard or touch screen of mine is much more time consuming than sitting at a pc. i guess if you have the need to record it immediately onto a phone then great but it seems like making it harder than it really needs to be.

i wouldn't think that it is just about having the basic information on hand but rather also to keep more advanced records for possible marine research(for the researchers out there), For instance while i am in the process of setting up my marine tank, i can log the data that i take from the water and keep a "diary" about the tank so i can refer back to it the information in the future and even for the purpose of showing others that are new to the hobby how my tank developed in the early stages and show them ideas.

I'm not just talking about the water though. im talking about water, fish, corals etc.

I'm just liking the idea of seeing a fish you like that you might not know to much about or want to find something spacific, ie temp, diet, social behaviour, and being able to quickly look it up instead of having to go home or try see if the person with the fish knows much about them (LPS)