Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hi :)

Featured Replies

Hey everyone,

I'm Cat from the shaky city of chch! Have owned tropical fish as a fun hobby for about 5 years now. I've started really getting into my tanks and much to the dismay of my family I spend most of my available funds on tanks, equipment and fish ha ha!! Sadly I've found more and more that pet stores have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and after much internet trawling I eventually come up with an answer. For instance about a year ago I asked what would be good in a tiny 22l i'd been given, the "fish expert" at the pet store told me Gourami would be perfect. I had previously had no experience with Gourami and after much talking and explaining I purchased 2. I got home and got them started in their new home and thought i'd read up about them..... oh no, I had been told they wouldn't get much bigger than the old 50c pieces but boy oh boy are they huge now! So obviously I had to save hard before they got big, I got a bigger 165l which they are in now but since then I research before I buy. Lesson learnt! I still hear people getting given terrible advice which i'm quick to correct (I get kicked out of alot of pet stores!)

Anyway, that's me, i'm just hear to learn as much as I can from people who are passionate AND educated

Peace

Cat

Welcome.

In the defence of the Fish shop workers here, I find most of them do know what they are talking about. There is however one notorious petstore chain which I will not mention who do often give false information.

Also, a SPARKLING gourami would be perfect for a 22L tank. May have been the fish in question a year ago. :wink:

There are only a few pet shops that give good advice. They are in the business of selling stuff and as retailing gets harder their advice may get worse. Do your homework before you buy. Having said that, there are a couple of petshops down here that I would consider give good advice.

Welcome. There is good and bad advice everywhere. Best thing to do is research first.

If you approach people the right way to offer corrections you won't get kicked out of the stores. Attitude and behaviour is important :wink:

I have often corrected a shop assistant whose advice I have believed to be incorrect and have never had a problem. I have sometimes been listened to, then ignored or disaagreed with, but never kicked out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.