April 2, 201115 yr comment_428314 Hello I live in the Kapiti Coast. Tonight I went out to a local river to look for some shrimp. I took my torch and net(and dog ). Unfortuantely I only found 2? Any ideas on a trap to catch them in? Or a better place to look? Thanks Report
April 2, 201115 yr comment_428333 When I caught shrimps I did so by accident by dragging the net along some weed - caught about 10 in one go. Report
April 3, 201115 yr Author comment_428377 Ok Was This At Night? Im Going To Have A Look For Some Weeds Along The River Now, Yesterday I Was Scooping Them Off Rocks :dunno: Thanks Report
April 3, 201115 yr comment_428378 nope, broad daylight, or rather sheltered with dappled sunlight. I looked for them in the shallows and didn't see any so gave up, then happened upon them by chance, you might have same luck Report
April 3, 201115 yr Author comment_428464 Well Tonight completely failed :facepalm: I caught....wait for it.... 1 shrimp?! about 12 eels and 7 fish(released all except the shrimp...) any more ideas?! I spent 1 hour out there freezing my legs off... The river is up a bit from the estuary Thanks Report
April 3, 201115 yr Author comment_428500 Lol. I had another look this morning and there were tonnes of baby shrimp?! and a snail :happy2: Report
April 22, 201115 yr comment_430723 yea were in palmy is the best shrimp spot?? wnating to finally do my shrimp only tank. + one apple snail :nilly: Report
April 27, 201115 yr comment_431559 i've found they don't work to well in troical com. tanks. am going to have a purely shrimp + snail tank. though probably a mix of high temp, 28, and mean fish. I couldn't get my tank any cooler in auckland Report
April 27, 201115 yr comment_431560 be keen to go get some some time though. and drift wood with some people and split petrol costs Report
April 28, 201115 yr comment_431619 you want to go get some one weekend? could see if anyone else wants to come too. Report
April 28, 201115 yr comment_431646 Head towards the coast and trawl about in the weeds or grasses with a net, or spotlight the shallows at night - the glowing eyes zooming about are shrimp Try the Foxton estuary or a little inland from there. Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432447 well went to himatangi yesterday and got some shrimp. I had no luck on one side so tried the other side of the stream and found loads of little guys and a few bigger ones, along with flat worms and numerouse amounts other aquatic invertibrates. I've put half of them into my cold tank and so far they are all doing well, though I can't find my big guy. Will the get sucked up the filter? Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432462 what sort of filter - not a sponge I presume? Shrimp are pretty good at being invisible, mine disappear for a week at a time and then maybe I see 1 or 2 at a time. Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432485 it's a small fluval hang on for my fluval edge. gets good water flow but the shrimp seem to be coping with that fine Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432525 I somehow doubt a shrimp got sucked in. They can after all live in a flowing river/creek without all being washed into the sea. Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432554 If they die and don't get eaten they lay on their sides and go pink like cooked ones, they are unmissable. And when you take them out of the water they STINK, even the tiny ones :sick: Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432609 I found that out in auckland when i couldn't keeo my trank cool. Am I correct in thinking that if it hasn't gone pink it is most likely to be shed exoskeleton? Report
May 2, 201115 yr comment_432619 great that you found some!! Yes, non-pink 'dead shrimp' are vacated exoskeletons. From now until about November the temperatures down here are fine for native critters, unless your tank is on a windowsill or similar Report
May 3, 201115 yr comment_432698 it gets a little bit of morning sun but I've been watching the temp and has only just been reaching 20C once or twice. in summer I'll have to move is Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.