My 1200L Fish Tank (The journey Nearly OVER)

Fishie123

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good way to apply vinyl is to use a spray bottle of water and spray it all over the sticky side of the vinyl. Stick the vinyl on the tank wet so you can reposition it till it's right then just use a flat plastic scraper-type objects (even a old eftpos card would work) and push the water out the sides.

I went to Spotlight, Couldn't find any Vinyl. Called HFF and they didn't have self adhesive vinyl. Where else would I get it?

Odd thought I saw a roll at Roskill HFF not that long ago. Too bad my dad is overseas, he was a sign maker for a few years and would know where to source it. I might give him a call tonight and find out where he got it, and I'll check the prices with him too, since they tend to only sell it in large rolls. If you're not after huge amount, I still have a few rolls at home and might be able to sell you some if Epsom isn't too out of the way for you. I'll just have to check with my dad (since the vinyl belongs to him really) and pm you if I manage to get him on the phone for the details/price.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! That makes more sense now. :facepalm: -> myself. I assumed that the sheet of background had adhesive. Sorry :sml1: . Thank you for the vital information obstacle. Getting one tomorrow. Thank everyone again for all there advice :hail:

Add only a very thin film of oil to the side you want to see... stick it on and then go to town on the vinyl with a scraper (creditcard)... The more you scrape the thinner the film of oil between vinyl and glass and the better it will stick.

Have fun!

Actually, the poly thickness doesn't matter, as long as it's thicker than the highest point imperfection on the stand. The surface pressure on the ploy isn't enough to deform it other than on bits of grit or screw heads (small point loads). If it doesn't deform it's doing nothing to sort out uneveness in the base of the stand. 10mm would be fine and it costs less... Carters sells 2.4 x 1.2 building grade poly sheet at about $1 per mm of thickness.

Were would you think I would get a cheap 20mm thickness poly. Someone selling one to me for $60. Would it actually be hard to make a background out of poly?

Have a look at my thread, I carved an awesome piece 2M by 60 in 4 hours

Bunnings sells all kinds of poly, I got a large 2.4M sheet of 100mm and quarted it - cost about $60/80

This is kinda :smot: , But since we are discussing about backgrounds, I thought I would ask on here.

I bought a Juwel rio 180 and it came with a poly background that have already been faded. What is the best method of removing the background without breaking it? If I cant remove it, Would I be able to repaint it in the tank? If I can repaint it, what paint would I need to use to repaint it.

How would I remove the silicon. I am going to put a black background. The Poly background that came with the tank, the colour is just coming out. So I though if I could get the color to black, I would be able to still use it.

What is the best method of removing the background out. It is a juwel background. I think it is made out of Fibre Glass materials. So wouldn't it be much harder removing it?

On topic:

I would have to buy a H I bought my background for $30.80. Know have to move the tank out a bit so I can put it on. I am also getting a 20mm poly for my tank.