My 1200L Fish Tank (The journey Nearly OVER)

Fishie123

If you lived in Malaysia, I don't even think you would need a heater. Malaysian FTW. By the way, I used to live in Malaysia. I might go back and start a tropical fish tank there. My cousin just told me that the arowana farm is quite close to where he lives!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sump is looking good.

I ended up removing my spray bar completely because it kept clogging up.

I would say a swimming pool or spa heater could be a good heating option?

I'm buying a house soon and the 1st DIY job I have planed is building a Plywood tank around 3000L and I'm going to use my 700ltr tank as the sump :D

This is how the water enters the tank. Is it fine that the tub is in an angle?

247237_10150317803463438_816933437_9698937_457876_n.jpg

I'll just try it out, going to drill the whole today and add the water. I've got my hosing. I am hoping the tank will be running by early tomorrow.

the problem with using the cannisters to pump back to the tank (if that's what I'm reading in the diagram) is that they don't have the syphon support to get back up to tank height like they would if they were taking watter from tank level and returning it to that level. You'll find that while it'll work the output of the cannisters will be a lot lower because they're having to work a lot harder to get the water up to the head height. Essentially the pumps will be sucking the water as well as pushing it up where as in a syphon setup the water naturally falls into the cannister and then helps the pump (in a way) push it back up by replacing whatever it moves.

I hope that makes sense, it does in my head.

I think your idea will work but not as effectively as you might be hoping for.

As in response to your PM fishie, i believe having the canisters normally in the tank may look slightly unsightly but will provide better clarity for water anyways, and in turn will be more effective.

i suggested, eventually selling the smaller canisters and upgrading.

but nothing wrong with multiple canisters, poewr on them is not much.

also, as i said as well, if you keep the system simple, it works and does not have much that can go wrong.

if its complex, more can go wrong :D

my 2 dollars :happy2:

I might just have the 4 filters. :slfg: , To much work to have to join them etc. I agree with henward and the-obstacle. I rather keep it simple. I have done my hosing and drilling. New pictures posted.

Okay, I have another problem. My pump is pumping way to much water into my tank that it dry my sump up in minutes quick... My tank wasn't filled up to the top. I just used my garden hose to the sump and pump a lot of water from the tap to the sump. Within minutes the sump keeps going dry..... I don't know whether I need to fill the tank up to the top to have a constant water flow? or something?

250218_10150318110278438_816933437_9701398_7633405_n.jpg

247945_10150318110558438_816933437_9701404_816912_n.jpg

250410_10150318110658438_816933437_9701406_1034916_n.jpg

230260_10150318110358438_816933437_9701400_6621486_n.jpg

246772_10150318110433438_816933437_9701402_1428071_n.jpg

:slfg: My tank is going to consist of white silver aorwana, black arowana, 6 discus, 5 tinfole barbs and a secret ultra rare fish :happy2: . The secret fish only could be review once the tank is up and running. :thup:

Your pump should be big enough to turn your display over 3-5 times an hour, I little bit more if your running a trickle filter tower. So 4000-6000lph into your tank. The box your pump came in should have a flow curve printed on the side, work out the distance from the normal water level in your sump to the normal water level in your display and add 1/4-1/2 to allow for the resistance on the pipe work this is your total head height, use this number on the flow curve of your box to work out if the pump is correctly sized.

the pump running your sump dry means its got good turnover, via aqua will lose flow rate a tiny bit, maybe 10% after a month of running, so it is perfect.

what you should do when your tank is filled - fill it slowly ove 3 to 4 days i reckon, give the poly, wood and the stand to adjust to the weight. just my m ethod and opinion anyways... someone can correct me if its neccesary.

anyways, then all you have to do is put the hose in the sump while the pump is running and then keep filling it until the sump is just filled wiht the constant flow from the main tank just above the pump.

so when you turn the pump off, the sump will surely flood, and it wont over flow, though if it does its not the end of the world, but yeah, gets messy:D

the holes in the spray bar looks good and big! awesome! wont clog that way.

My tank is nearly completed! only things now I have to do are.

Cycle the tank. (Buying 20 Goldfish As told by henward :slfg: )

Paint the back of the tank. (Need to buy more PAINT)

Name my tank. (I don't know what to name my tank any suggestion?)

• 1 month later...

Yay!! The tank is finally cycled after not feeding the fish.... :o but hey it works :slfg: ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40ppm so water change??

what i am planning to do is put java moss and rocks at back of tank and let java moss grow on the glass so it becomes like a moss background?? would that be cool or would putting some netting and then grow java ferns to cover back of tank??...............some opinions??