Dropsy

Carriej

I have got a female guppy which is all swolen up (looks pregnant but isn't) and her scales about her tummy are all lifted and from the top looking down on her, her scales are really lifted like a pinecone. I have been told that when it is at the point to be dignosed its normaly to late for that fish. What are my chances of the other guppies catching this horrible disease?

:cry:

Reading these symptoms, I think a guppy of mine had dropsy a week or two ago (it died). It was all pinecone-like with what appeared to be blood inbetween it's scales. It doesn't appear that any of my other fish have it though, I treated the tank with Melafix and Garlic (immune system booster, couldn't hurt) at the time to be safe. I feed guppies from that tank to my Oscars and Angels so hopefully they won't come down with it. Are there any early warning signs that I should be looking for?

Okay...mine do not look like pinecones...so no dropsy...if I am understanding correctly...the entire fish would have protruding scales...right?

About the unfertilized eggs that the female carries...mmm...does this mean the fish is mature then? How often do they...spawn?

So, if the breeding conditions aren't right...no babies...RIGHT :o

Livebearer_breader...I'm not trying to breed fish :o:o:o

Oh...one more thing...for now..hehe

The change in the body shape happened after I gave them dried shrimp as a treat...just a coincidence?

Well the fish that I got rid of today that had dropsy was very easily visible. She was real fat and serioulsy looked like a pinecone with a tail and fins. As bad as the disease is I am glad that guppies are not that expensive to replace!!

I tried to take a photo of the fish before disposing of it but I didn't bother to check the photos before disposing of the fish and realised that all the pictures were blury and no good lol

Penejane,

Sorry to hear about your fish...are fish with dropsy is the entire fish fat! I was looking at some pictures..but the fish was laying down so it looked as if just the bottom swollen...shoot...I hope you know what I'm trying to say :-?

And fast question...it was you that had a new baby??????

Yes Caper I am the one that had the baby. He will be 3 weeks old tomorrow.

With the fish that had dropsy its belly was so large that I thought it was going to burst yet the pregnancy spot was very small. When you look at a fish from the top (depending on what type of course) normaly a fish should look something like a skinny tear drop. Well this fish that had dropsy looked like a big fat ball with its tail out the end. It was sitting at the top and flapping its fins about like it was doing a pregnancy waddle. Basicly it was flapping both fins to stay straight.

Wished my photos came out better then I could of showen you exactly what it looked like.

Penejane...CONGRATULATIONS on your new bundle of joy...I hope that you, and Name? are doing well!

I couldn't find any explanation on the net as to why a fish gets dropsy...unless I missed something?

I did a picture search on dropsy and these pictures best showed what my fish looked like as to body proportions, scales sticking out.

dropsy2.jpg

dropsy1.jpg

dropsy.jpg

I hope this helps others out there to identify this problem.

As for "how" they get it no one really knows by the looks of it. As the lady said at the pet store, its like cancer. Some people get it and some won't and we will never know why.