Make your own fish food

Deno

This is nothing new and not my recipe but one I use to feed african cichlids predominantly but also occasionally to our community tank.

I basically alternate feeding between this and flake etc

The fish like it and it saves me $$$$$$$

FROZEN VEGE/SHRIMP FISH FOOD

1kg fresh or frozen veges, I find it easier to use frozen.

400 grams frozen cooked peeled shrimp

Gelatine

2 cloves of garlic

* Thaw the shrimp and blend with the garlic.

* Cook the veges until they are soft.

* Mix up 3 tablespoons of gelatine in about 1/4 cup of hot water and microwave it until it blends.

* Add everything into the blender and blend it.

* Put it into old fish bags, flatten it out and freeze it.

* To feed out to fish, simply snap off a piece and thaw it for a few minutes.

if you can get agar agar it is better for your Africans as it is a plant based and is a lessor protein product not an animal like gelatin

agar agar should be available in most health food shops but its rather pricey but you dont need half as much compared to gelatin

75 grams $27.50

link to it here

http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/6421-a ... owder.html

or a nz manufacturer

http://www.coastbio.co.nz/agar.htm

I will check out that agar agar. I remember collecting that seaweed as a little kid and getting paid for it. Now I think about it I don't think I even knew what it was used for and probably didn't care so long as we got some pocket money.

peas pumpkin kumera or pretty much any vege if ya really keen ya can shell the peas and most catfish will like the food as well , if your making it for catfish you can allways take a rock or 2 out of your tank and let the food set and dry onto the rock then put it back in the tank as the food floats the cats miss out on it. what i used to do was get a large flat rock and put a layer about 1.5 cm thick and let it set then place in the oven heated to about 100 deg and leave it for 15-20 mins leave it to cool and place back in the tank and watch the fish go mad over it

if you are makin an all vege mix, then you really do need a binder.

agar or gelatine is fine.

marrow should be ok, ist like a giant courgette rigth?

i just use courgettes, spinach, banana.

if you dont have any prawn, then use a binder, if you use prawn, you shouldnt need it.

Well my fish have had their first tast of home cooking and they loved it It looked that good I thought about eating it myself it binded really well with the agar I put in it cooked shrimps lots of peas grated carrot little bit of marrow and cucumber garlic and spirulina yum yum I got a large oven tray full will last for months :happy2: :happy2: