Snails - HELP!

the new guy

if you didn't put them in there...they're probably a pest. I fight snails with loaches (like striata loaches or dwarf chain loaches), but that's because I have plants and snails demolish them. Plus - I dunno what's in those "Snail Rid" chemical products, and I try to avoid extra bottles of crap in my tank.

But take a photo - I'm sure some clever bugger will tell you what kind of snail you have.

found some small snails crawling around the tank i have no idea what kind they are,

Doesn't matter, kill them.

or how they got in there,

Doesn't matter, kill them.

should they be in there????

No, kill them.

The only good snails are apple snails and you'd have intentionally put them in your tank. The rest, especilly for a new tank like yours are pests. Kill them.

Hmmm, Ira seems to have some dislike for snails, methinks :wink:

On the contrary, I gave up worrying about snails in my tanks, except for for the Malaysian trumpet snails. The ramshorns I find are good for eating algae and cyano. If I think there are too many in the tank I put a algae wafer in an upright glass in the evening and take it out complete with snails before the lights come on.

Some pics here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51028

Such haters :o. I actually like them. I reckon they're kinda cute. I have Ramshorns and MTS in my tanks, they don't bother my plants at all. Only time when they did nibble my plants was when they were dying leaves anyway. Just don't let them overload your tank (I suck up most of the ones you can see during a WCs to keep them in check), otherwise the only other annoyance I can think of is, if they die, they leave their shells in the gravel.

• 2 weeks later...

I added dwarf chain loaches to my tank, and not only are they a great addition to the tank (looking zebra like) and have bottom dweller shoalling behaviours but if you don't over feed your fish they rip through snails like a drunk eating a curry. You usually see the damage they have caused when you do a water change / gravel clean and you see all the empty snail shells in the bucket. (They suck the snail out of their shells you see)

remember to always do research on fish before adding new ones to your tank, but dwarf chain loaches are relatively cheap, nice peaceful non aggressive fish, like certain gravels (softer finer for their whiskers), are small so good for smaller tanks, BUT are a schooling fish and need to be in numbers 3 - 5+ minimum.

Now I have gotten rid of the snail problem, I now have an algae problem!! :facepalm: time for a Siamese Algae eater me thinks.

I added dwarf chain loaches to my tank

I love the sound of new fish but im not sure if the budget will allow it! lol and hopefully i dont

Snails love cucumber. A good way to catch them is by keeping a small piece of cucumber under an inverted container (so ur plecos and fish dont get to it) overnight. You will find a lot of snails inside the container the next day morning. Happy snail hunting :D

Cool i might try that tonight!

• 5 weeks later...