cory and others

Sophia

Are corydora the kind of fish that like dither fish floating about above them?

Am wondering if I got a few ember tetra or some sparkling gourami to go with my dwarves if that would make them more or less shy? Generally I think they are a fish that don't like big movements outside the tank, but I'm wondering what others have kept with them that brought them out more. Other than more corys that is.

I would get more of the same cory or another little one but it seems that I got some that don't get stocked often.

I also thought that the sparkling gourami (in the shop at least) has similar colouring to the cories so thought it would be less threatening to them than the bright orange tetra. They aren't afraid of the shrimps at least. hmmmm

I have had a similar problem with ember tetras and pygmy cories, then I added some tinwini danios and it changed the whole dynamic of the tank. Now I have used them again for some shy celestial pearl danios and everyone is all out and about now. They are great dither fish - always out, no matter what!

Did you pick them based on size alone?

If so then Mosquito rasbora may also be suitable, they are smaller in length and thickness than the cories.

I also like those galaxy rasbora but I've seen only a few and they were quite expensive I thought.

I got guppies in with mine, but no affect on the corys :facepalm:

When they were in the big tank, they did seem to swim together with the otos occasionally though! Similar size, colourations and shoal behaviours

But otos aren't exactly cheap fish!

I picked them because of their activity and their small size. Now they are one of my favourite fish! The males develop beautiful red lining to the fins and they are so friendly. Here is a video I found on YouTube:

Yes they are a cute little fish. I have never seen them at HFF but I will keep an eye out. Not that I need an excuse to go there any more often :roll:

I added some ember tetras to a small tank with very shy bandit corys - and now my bandits actually come out and play. :happy1:

I also plan to move my two golden pencilfish over to that tank too - they are great dither fish for corys and go well in the tank with my panda and pygmy corys. The little pygmies like to swim with the golden pencils and pretend they are big fish too! :D

I also have had rasboras - harlequins and they worked well as dithers and looked fantastic. I may try the smaller galaxy ones one day...

I picked them because of their activity and their small size. Now they are one of my favourite fish! The males develop beautiful red lining to the fins and they are so friendly. Here is a video I found on YouTube:

Anyone breeding them anywhere? Not orderable atm at HFF :(

They are super cute

Try looking for Danio nigrofaciatus, HFF sent some of them to me last year. They are the same size and have the same temperament. Alternatively, I know that Organism had some Tinwini recently. These little guys are highly underrated and when they are mature, they really develop beautiful markings.

Agreed. Dither fish are fast at the food, but if they do their job they will also stimulate a feeding frenzy in the other fish as well. Even very timid fish will get in on the action when everyone else is in having a good old time feasting. At least that is what I have seen in my experience. :wink:

So those with dither fish, how many do you need and how does it work?

Is it a large shoal that makes the small fish feel safe, or the presence of unscared fish, or bigger fish, or smaller fish than them? I suspect it can't be the presence of bigger fish or people with discus would need huge other fish as dithers?? :dunno:

At the store there are some dwarves in with some larger dither fish, 1 inch+ and 3 were sitting at the front of the tank and unmoveable to me waving about like a moron. The mosquito rasbora are the smallest and possibly most appropriate for my 22L tank. Also available by ordering were danio - nigrafaciatus, shanesis and kyathit, though ranging up to twice the price of a rasbora.

Or theres Ember Tetra which are itty bitty too Sophia, and I have 3 of them that were sold to me as Glowlights (they are definitely not glowlights) that you can have if you want them :)

Oops, edited just to add that I just read Adriennes post about the Embers not being much better, so maybe not lol.... but you are still welcome to give them a try

It depends on the type and number of dither fish you use. Even timid fish will be more outgoing in larger groups.

Those danios are so active and outgoing that you don't need many of them to make a difference in a small tank with other timid fish. They are happier in bigger groups but I lost a few in the quake so only had two D. tinwini left. I added them to a tank of 15 Celestial pearl danios who were in hiding all the time - now all the fish in that tank are out and about all the time swimming with the D. tinwini. It has made a huge difference to the dynamics of that tank.

I have had a couple of nano tanks on the go for a few years now and so have had the opportunity to try many of the small fish like microrasboras, ember tetras, D. erythromicron, CPDs, etc. and none really compare to the D. tinwini and D. nigrofaciatus in terms of their activity and outgoing nature. They look great in a group of 5 or more, however, if you don't like fish that never rest, they are not for you. ;)

I would be interested to know how many corydora people in keep in what size tanks.

Aqadvisor says I am already over stocked at 117% with only 7 dwarves which looks utterly ridiculous in real life, they literally have heaps of room.

I thought I would increase the numbers to 10 and then add 3-5 dither fish in a month or more if the bigger shoal make them less shy. Aqadvisor says that 10 dwarves with an eheim pickup that can handle double the water volume of the tank it would be overstocked at 144% haha :lol:

Am I missing something about corydora? I have never seen one poop yet. Though of course they must be :roll:

For the dithers I am thinking either to get a few small danio, or maybe the other way and getting a couple of bigger cory. :dunno:

I would be interested to know how many corydora people in keep in what size tanks.

Aqadvisor says I am already over stocked at 117% with only 7 dwarves which looks utterly ridiculous in real life, they literally have heaps of room.

I thought I would increase the numbers to 10 and then add 3-5 dither fish in a month or more if the bigger shoal make them less shy. Aqadvisor says that 10 dwarves with an eheim pickup that can handle double the water volume of the tank it would be overstocked at 144% haha :lol:

Am I missing something about corydora? I have never seen one poop yet. Though of course they must be :roll:

For the dithers I am thinking either to get a few small danio, or maybe the other way and getting a couple of bigger cory. :dunno:

I have 6 pygmy cories, 5 CPDs, 3 otos, and one small Pearl Gourami in my 30L tank running on sponge filters only and I've had no problems.