Jewel Fry

Dawn

I have babies!!!!!! I'm so excited I can't believe it - I didn't even know I had a pair let along that they had laid eggs!

The parents hadn't been out of hiding ever since I put them into this tank so I wondered why all of a sudden they were both out tonight when I went to feed them - I was thinking I don't think I'll give them anything tonight as I was standing there because there was a few fuzzy pellets floating around - and that's when I saw them - a swimming cloud of little dots. The poor Golden Algae Eater is getting a good work-out around & around the tank!

I've taken photos but I don't know if I was able to get close enough to see them.

Thanks everyone. I don't know how long they will take to mature Critter Guy. At least 6 months or so I guess, I've had these since they were 4 months old, bought them at the end of November. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the babies.

I haven't a clue where they laid the eggs because there is only one rock in the tank and it's standing upright so there's no room for eggs on it, I would have seen them anyway.

I planted the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis seven days ago and ever since then great chunks of it have been floating to the surface until in the end two days ago I noticed there was a huge hole in the middle of it - now I know why, the parents were obviously digging in/under/around it to make their nest or whatever.

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch, anyone know? It's only been about 12 days since I took everything out of the tank except the fish and gave it a good clean out!

What do I need to feed the babies now - oh dear not another trip to the LFS - I just went today!

Thanks Mystic. Cor they are so hard to get a decent photo of - if I get up close they're out of focus and when I move back to focus you can't see them! This one is a bit better....

babies-7.jpg

This one shows the beautiful markings on the parents, Dad was just a split second too quick for me! The colour is even more red than the photo suggests.

daddy-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...