Stocking ideas?

Samba2641

Hey everybody!

I'm in need of some stocking ideas for a 60L tank, as its in a flat mates room he's taken ownership of it (i clean it, he buys the fish) which I think is just a wonderful idea:)

He wants a wee school of neon tetra and I've been researching around but the only recommended fish seem to be other tetras. Any ideas?

Its going to be lightly-averagely planted. 60cm long, 30cm wide and high.

He loved the idea of a pair of angels but further research suggested that they'd be too cramped in that space, but something along those lines...

He also wants to put a black light on it, would that harm the fish at all do you think?

Cheers,

Sam

Definitely corydoras! We have panda cories, and they are really cute, and would be fine with neons. The pandas are a bit smaller than most, so are great for a small tank.

We also have three dwarf neon rainbowfish in a 60L tank (a male and two females). They have amazing colours, and are very curious about what is happening outside the tank. They know my 2-year old feeds them, so they always swim to the front of the tank when she is nearby, and they have made our harlequin rasboras much braver as well, so they have livened up the whole tank. They do chase each other and the other fish, though, so I'm not sure if neons would be ok with that or not.

a blacvk light may not harm the fish but there really iosnt any point it wont make the fish glow in the dark nor will it make for pleasant veiwing as the visible part of the light only penetrates a few inches into the water

Wow! thanks everybody for such awesomely quick replies:)!

I'll put all these ideas to him tomorrow and see which combo he prefers.

As to the light, I'll pass that on also and see if i cant persuade him to spend his money on something else:)

Thanks again!

Sam

Hey, just showed him the suggestions and its a toss up between the male Betta and the whiptail cat.

We both love the look of the whiptail but I imagine it'd be rather expensive?

Any breeders of either of those out there?

Will post a wanted ad when the tanks cleaned up and ready to go:)

Thanks!

if it was me i would do a pair of drawf cichlids like steel blues or kribs. and half dozen tetras.

or if you want to do the fighter thing have a long tailed male fighter and 4-6 females in the tank. since it will be planted there will be places for the females to hide and since theres a few females the males 'spirit' will be spread between all the girls. and being a long finned male it will slow him down so the girls can run away easier. could also add 3ish cories.

If you wait a wee while there will hopefully be Apistogramma macmasteri availible shortly :)

These are very peaceful and would do well in a harem (one male to two to three females).

Some other nice, small, colourful fish are:

- Danio margaritatus

- Danio tinwini

- Boraras briggitae

- Boraras maculatus

- Dario dario

- Trigonostigma hengeli

- Trigonostigma espei

- Trichopsis pumila

- Rasbora vaterifloris

Hey again guys,

Joe, thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll definitely keep the Apistogramma macmasteri in mind for the next tank!

Still sold on the school of neon tetras and am now tossing it up between betta and whiptail catfish, any ideas/opinions/helpful hints for or against either of them?

Would we be able to add some female bettas to the tank (if we went the male betta route) later on or would that be asking for trouble?

My research has suggested that while a male betta and a whiptail could probably fit in the tank together well enough, there could be problems, I'm assuming the aggression would likely come from the betta?

Thanks,

Sam

I assume you are referring to bettas? I dunno, I love my wee zebra danios, one got picked out of the tank the other night by a cat who isn't as stupid as she appears and its perfectly fine now:)

Speaking of though, got any idea where I can get some nice ones in Wellington? -So often the pet shop ones look so bedraggled...

Don't put female bettas near males unless you have a breeding setup. Even then they'll bash each other. Stick with the one impressive male fighter and you'll be sweet. ;)

From my experience males and females have gotten along fine together. My 200L had 3x males and 30+ females swimming freely in it

Yeah, We would both much prefer to get a red/common whiptail I think but I'm finding it difficult to hunt a breeder down...

Animates stocks a nice whiptail for about $33 :D

Don't put female bettas near males unless you have a breeding setup. Even then they'll bash each other. Stick with the one impressive male fighter and you'll be sweet. ;)

not nessesarily, ive done it alot of times before and the only deaths ive had from mixing a male with a bunch of girls is that i incorrectly sexed one of the 'girls' when it was a male PK and the PK kept killing all the other males i introduced. aslong as theres some cover like plants it works. this is how my first fish tank was setup and worked great. it all ended with the male getting a growth on his side and near the end all the girls where holding him upright near the top of the tank to keep him alive.