Chlorinated water query - larger quantities?

jn

Hi all,

Have a property in the CBD which was evacuated the day after the quake.

Had some liquefaction and the tenants said the pond was leaking when they left.

Don't know from where, bottom or sides (its concrete and the courtyard is a mess apparently).

Anyway.. point is if there is any water left and fish are still alive I will need to work out somewhere to hold them. How do I safely dechlorinate a larger quantity of water?

I know this is a coldwater/pond type topic but being chlorine related I thought it would apply here as well and have a better chance of being seen.

I've very fond of those fish and I sure hope they made it through. We're in zone 3, so not accessible till at least middle of the week :tears:

You can leave water with a open lid and Chlorine will dissipate into the atmosphere, although chloramines will still be present(Which tends to be more lethal)

Ideally go to a lfs and buy some stresscoat / prime / pond grade dechlorinator. Stresscoat 5ml per 38L, Prime 5ml per 200L. Pond stuff ranges. Just use the product on the new water 10 or so mins before acclimation.

If you're putting them into a temporary home, look into filtration if you haven't already. Very important.

SEACHEM PRIME

the best and msot costeffective way of treating aquarium water

1 capful will treat 200L!!

huge!

i doubt you will have more than 200L of water in a bucket, thats a huge amount of water

but none the less, a small bottle can treat a couple of thousands of litres.

Thanks everyone. That's extremely helpful.

So i have a couple days to source some stuff in the hopes that i have some fish to re-home.

Will post an update once I know if they're ok!

Damn. Bad news, building is red-stickered not so much because of its own state, but due to there being some potentially-unstable buildings that are too close for comfort.

The possible good (OH!! Big AFTERSHOCK!) news is that our body corp secretary got to go along with the inspectors who were doing the assessment, and when we asked him if there was any water left in the pond he said he though there was. Not 100% sure, but I dare say if it was completely empty that probably would have been obvious, so with a bit of luck they might still be ok (mind you we did have a good lot of rain yesterday so it could have been rainwater that hadn't drained awsay yet!). Hmm.. I think I've just taken the gloss off what I though might have been a bit of good luck..

Guess it'll be at least another week before I know. Still feeling very thankful that this is the worst of what's worrying me!

Time to source a big enough temporary pond. I've wanted to have one anyway (for example would have been useful for a case of whitespot I had to treat a short while back) so there's no time like the present.

ps: when I do collect them, I'll take them away in as much of their existing water as possible and acclimatise them gradually as usual. With a bit of luck I'll get something soon and fill it, dechlorinate it and let it sit at ambient temps for a few days, so the water might be as closer in temp to their current situation.

There's not much point trying to take old water, it will just be dirty old water and water doesn't hold very much of the bacteria you need. Moving them will be no different to doing a pond clean out or when you take fish home from the LFS.

Plastic kids paddling pools make good temp ponds

Taking some old water is more about just letting them adjust to a new temp/ph a little more gradually then dropping them into a totally new environment. If I half fill some buckets with old water I can slowly add new water to that and let them adjust before putting them in a new 'home'.

I'll grab some of the large potted pond plants for some nitrifying bacteria. I have a filter in there but I dont think I'll be able to conveniently operate a pump on a temporary setup at home so i think some of the plants will have to do.

I'll settle for a paddling pond if I have to but have my eye on something deeper (some of the fish are probably 7 years old and quite big). I have 6 cats and am also not likely to be able to easily shade the pool, so dont want them being 'hooked' or 'cooked'. :o