The loaches, corydora & oto tank - movies from page 11

Sophia

Here is my first dwarf corydora species tank (not counting the 2 shrimps).

A HUUUGE 22 litres.

Substrate is a mix of river and silica sand and 9/18 river pebbles. A few oak leaves - the cories love them, always snuffling about the edges and up the sides.

Lighting is 7w 6500K for approx 6 hours a day.

3 JBL balls under various crypts, other ferts only when needed occasionally, as per the low tech regime.

Looks a little flat at the moment, partly because it's a small tank and I have chosen small specimens, partly because they are all new and yet to establish.

And yes I have no background so they can enjoy some natural light as well. Later I am moving this up into the living room where there is very little natural light so I will paint the back of the tank.

Riverton010.jpg

Riverton008.jpg

Riverton005.jpg

Plant layout from above

From anubias nana bottom left clockwise: narrow java fern, undulata crypt, cordata crypt, back corner with dark stems and pea green leaves with corrugated edges – mystery crypt (does anyone recognise it?), pearl weed, twisted val, wendtii green and/or brown, affinis crypt. Philippine java fern and Christmas moss on the wood.

overheadplantlayout.jpg

7 dwarves. There is one that is visibly larger than the rest, am hoping it's a she-dwarf.

Their tail coloration is not like the one that comes up on google images/aquahobby site in terms of the white at the end of the tail but in the swimming picture you can see a hint of the white.

Riverton012.jpg

minifish009.jpg

minifish008.jpg

minifish004.jpg

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awwww!

Cute wee tank with cute wee fish :love:

I love it :hail:

I see you have a thing for Crypts 8) I like the Crypt. undulata. Very nice!

Once I get some C. willisii to Jennifer I could send you a bit of it if you want. It is a dwarf species, with dark glossy chocolate leaves and a lime green streak though the middle :) The leaves are quite long and narrow and slightly undulated.

:bounce: Great tank!

I'm sure the fish will be very happy, especially as the plants settle in and grow. Nice selection of them, too!

I'm so jealous of your camera! I tried taking pics tonight but I only have blurs for fish. It will be another day or two before I figure out how to resize tank photo. :(

thanks everybody.

Foxglove, you overcompliment my photos, some of them are terribly out of focus but I put them there anyway so you could see the fish in action.

Joe, yes please to some willisii crypt if you get a chance, I have become quite a collector!

Undulata is the one at the front left with the paler leaves next to anubias nana. The one I am wondering about is the 1 in back left and the same one next to it on the back pane of glass with the long brown stems and wavy green leaves. They do have some brown veins too.

I have wendtii and affinis and it isn't those, not balansae either. Could be walkerii though the leaves aren't as long as my existing one, and that doesn't have the fluted edges either. Isn't pale enough to be cordata if they all are pale like Joe's. For now is Cryptus Mysterious.

I have wendtii and affinis and it isn't those, not balansae either. Could be walkerii though the leaves aren't as long as my existing one, and that doesn't have the fluted edges either. Isn't pale enough to be cordata if they all are pale like Joe's. For now is Cryptus Mysterious.

Crypt. cordata can have dark green leaves, lime green leaves, mint-green leaves, brown leaves and pale biege leaves, like mine, and all sorts of other various slight colour variations. But I definately don't think it's cordata because of the leaf shape - cordata has quite broad leaves.

I will eventually get a little eheim pickup like my killie tank as I am going to bring it inside so I can see them more often. Airpump and HOB filters are too noisy for my liking.

It's the smallest sponge filter there is of that kind but it does look huge. :o

This afternoon I was visited by an angel bearing plants and now have a few more bits of green in the back:

Side view – more greenery on back now

Riverton6-3-113.jpg

Right side – 2 new pontederifolia & 2 experimental moss stones far right

Riverton6-3-112.jpg

Left side – twisted val moved to middle back, narrow leaf java on end of log now

Riverton6-3-111.jpg