Any spider freaks out there?

Sunbird73

I have 2 (possibly a m/f pair?) of NZ sheetweb spiders that have set up residence next to my back door steps :o

Much as these huge spiders are fascinating they are just too close to my house and are giving me the heebiejeebies.

Anyone want to catch them for me? The move too quick and are too big for me to even attempt it.

I just don't want to have lots of baby sheetwebs wandering around my house.

I can't take a pic (DH taken camera to chch) but here is one off the web.

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/gallery/IMGP2114_tif.html

I am in Wairau, near sunnynook, north shore.

I have 2 (possibly a m/f pair?) of NZ sheetweb spiders that have set up residence next to my back door steps :o

Much as these huge spiders are fascinating they are just too close to my house and are giving me the heebiejeebies.

Anyone want to catch them for me? The move too quick and are too big for me to even attempt it.

I just don't want to have lots of baby sheetwebs wandering around my house.

I can't take a pic (DH taken camera to chch) but here is one off the web.

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/gallery/IMGP2114_tif.html

I am in Wairau, near sunnynook, north shore.

FXRNKVXF54HOCTR.MEDIUM.jpg

See i thought of breaking their web. But then that would leave 2 very large spiders that would need to wander around looking for a new place to build. Not so keen on wandering spiders, they like to come in windows. At least when they are in their web I know where they are.

When I first got one in my house a few years ago I rehomed to just outside my gate, but the next morning I caught him cruising back down my driveway into my garage... :o The last one my husband found next to our bed, so he would have come in the window directly over my head and walked over my side of the bed to get to where he was :o So I *really* do not want a repeat performance of that!!

I just read on the web that they are NZ's largest endemic spider. Certainly are pretty blardy huge!

oh holey heck......i can understand why you dont want those things climbing round your house! they would be crispy spiders if they were at my house. YUCK! sorry all you spider lovers, but i really can deal with big spiders! :nilly:

hopefully someone will take these "beauties" away for you :roll:

The good thing with spiders in/around your house is that they eat other insects coming into your house - free insect control without chemicals!

The extra good thing about web-building spiders is they stay in predictable places.

I would take spiders over flies and mosquitoes any day.

The good thing with spiders in/around your house is that they eat other insects coming into your house - free insect control without chemicals!

The extra good thing about web-building spiders is they stay in predictable places.

I would take spiders over flies and mosquitoes any day.

I'd rather have flies and mosquitoes. Can we genetically engineer some flies and mosquitoes that eat spiders?

Except with these particular spiders, the males go wandering at certain times of the year to find a lady.... We have had about 4-5 of these spiders in the time I have lived here and this is the first time I have ever seen one in a web.

Dunno about mosquitoes large enough to eat these spiders, might be an anaemia risk!!

So Stella, not planning any trips to auckland then?? Pretty sure we have some tunnelwebs out on the roof of the deck as well you are welcome to ;) Take two sheetwebs and get a tunnelweb free....

Off to tightly close all my windows before I go to bed :o