Angels

Lucid

Well,

My angels have spawned a few times and after trying a few things I still don't have any fry from them.

SO this time I have removed the filter cover that the eggs are on ( Yes I know caryl, you told me they wouldn't use the pot I put in for them :D:hail::D ) and placed it into a breeding net and placed it in the path of the new filter in the tank, to provide current to hopefully stop the eggs from fungusing badly.

There are no bubbles getting thru the net - is this ok?

and is there anything else that I can do to get a maximum hatch from this lot of eggs.

I eargely await all the expert opinions to help me out :hail::hail:

B

Ball just be thankful if you get any eggs to hatch. This will prove to you that you do have a viablepair to start with.

The system you are using I assume can't have methylene blue added to keep down the fungus??

If so, add some, but not too much, just make the water go pale blue.

I have just hatched out some jewel cichlids after taking them from the parents.

Hundreds of them. :P

Alan 104

Hi Ballastic,

The best anti-fungal cure you can possibly get are the parents.. as they will do all that is needed once they get the hang of things.

On top of this... you are missing the best part of the whole miracle that is there... right in your tank.. if you give the guys a chance that is :)

Ok... we do get pairs that just won't care for the eggs or fry.. but invariably this is not the fault of the fish... but that of the owner, that has either the wrong conditions.. or is over disturbing the fish at the critical times.

Give them a chance man... and dedicate the tank to them if you want the fry... it's well worth the effort :)

I use 40mm plastic water piping propped in the corner for my pairs to spawn on, and if the need arises it can easily be removed for hatching the eggs seperately.

Dosing a whole tank with Methelene Blue is a "very" last resprt, and for your present situation, a gallon jar or reasonable sized container floating in the tank will do the trick.

On the odd occasions that I have had to intervene with the eggs I have used the plastic "vege" box out of the fridge he he.

As someone poiinted out.. at least if you get "one" wriggler, you will know you have a pair, as often two females will go through all the motions without results.

Hope it works out,

Bill.

Cool, thans for that guys,

they currently have a 3ft tank dedicated to them only, it is planted but really have nochoice as I need the space for my plants :)

I have placed them in an ice cream container, the eggs were fungusing very quickly, so I plucked them of with an eye dropper, I have about 20 wrigglers at a glance and about ten that haven't hatched or fungused yet. Have added a tiny drop of meth blue just incase the eggs decide to hatch, and will slowely filter it out with water changes.

B

ok, so did a water change today and removed some of the meth blue from the ice cream container, It looks like I still have all my wrigglers and a ciouple extra from the ten or so eggs i had in there.

My question is now, how long till they are free swimming generally and when if at all should I add an airstone on low flow.

B

Alright, so i went to check on my wrigglers after work today and they all look like little baby fish lying on thier sides, I am assuming that this is normal.

Also i did a quick count and it looks like there are approximately 60 ( :o ) or so of them in there. So fingers crossed I have a few that will make it through, when do I need to add an air stone, how sensitive are they to change in water quality, I haven't been able to construct a divider yet, but hagve a one foot tank set up and running, it has fully cycled and is ready for fish.

B

Ballistic said:

Alright, so i went to check on my wrigglers after work today and they all look like little baby fish lying on thier sides, I am assuming that this is normal.

Yup... quite normal.

They will go from that stage to taking little hops around the tank, then they will eventually become free swimming.

It's important not to feed them until they have fully consumed their egg sac. My preferred first food is Newly Hatched Brine Shrimp, but they will manage on Liquifry for Egglayers.

Bill.

Hi All,

After a few requests for pics I have managed to get one,

man they move quick when you try to get a pic, managed to get a couple while they were resting, and yes i know the pic is small, but in the interest of not using up or slowing down this site, the pic is a link to a bigger one which will be clearer.

angelfry8st.th.jpg

B

hosting courtesy of http://www.imageshack.com/

HI Al,

Well I got home from the bbq at judes, with Caryl and Grant in tow, to show off my tanks and my angel fry were free swimming. I did a water change last night and then set them free in thier new home this morning. After a long day at work worrying that I had let them out to soon and they were not gonna survive the day, I raced home and found they had all survived the day in the new tank. I had been doing water changes with water from the tank they are now in and knew they would be ok, but it never stopped me worrying.

They are free swimming and quite happy munching down on microworms, and I am one happy fishkeeper. It's awesome to watch them progress from eggs, to wrigglers and now to fry ( they are fish finally lol) and swimming round the tank.

Pics will follow soon, will let them settle in fully first.

B

• 1 month later...

Well, heres an update on the angels.

The first pic was taken by Caryl the same weekend as thw bbq at jude's which if my memory is working was Sat Jan 16th

angelfryfreeswimming.jpg

And this pic was taken today Sat 19th Feb

BabyAngels.jpg

The second pic is more for mystic, just to prove that they are trtiangle now. :lol:

B