High Nitrate level in tap water

Beets82

I thought that I have been having trouble keeping nitrate levels down in my tanks for the last few weeks and have been doing water changes every 5 days or so with no change then today I tested my tap water and got the result below, this explains why......

IMG_1672640x480.jpg

What the flip can I do :dunno: ? I think this level is already to high to fill up my aquarium.

I have been filling my tanks from my drinking water carbon filter for about a year now as the water here in Pukekohe always stinks so much of chlorine.

IMG_1673640x480.jpg

And also because from time to time the water comes out of the tap like this

IMG_0572640x480.jpg

Looks like its straight from the Waikato river - effluent and fertilizer runoff soup.

Other parameters of my tap water

pH 7

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

GH 5

KH 6

Nitrate as photo above round 30 I reckon.

Should I try and collect rain water somehow? Or are these levels safe anyway.

Maybe I could build an algae scrubber in my sump like some marine keepers do, but that would only deal with my big tank and I don't want to increase my power bill by having to run more lights...

I don't want to really want invest in an RODI filter system they look expensive...

I could fill up drums of water from the bore at my work, but that is heaps of hassle to load them into my hatchback. Ever watch the LA fishguy on youtube kind of how he does it, kind of a pain by the looks.

Is there any filter media that can deal with it?

Ha ha I could just post in the private trade and exchange - SWAP house in Pukekohe for a house with good tap water :lol:

How many drops of reagent are you using?

The test kit is API nitrate - 10 drops of bottle 1, shake vial, shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds, 10 drops from bottle 2, shake vial for 1 min, wait 5 min then read it. Do the reagents in these kits breakdown or go off overtime? I have had it for a couple of years. I prefer the titration tests i think they are easier than trying to figure out which colour it is. Maybe i should go but a new/different branded test.

Add some indian fern to your tank or duckweed, and that should help.

I don't have any - also I have I think that you can put plants with Africans?

1. I would ring the council and ask them what they are doing with the water.

I think that the high nitrates and chlorine stink has started since we got vacuumed into the supercity last year when watercare took over the water ops. So I will defiantly give them a call about this

Are you sure that you are not getting rust in your water which is causing it to come out of the tap that colour.
the colour has been a problem around pukekohe for a while and the old council had admitted that the infrastructure is old, they are doing a lot of up grading. Its not the colour that is the worry I think its mostly when they do repairs and maintenance only happens every few months and we just run the taps for a few mins then it comes clean. The high nitrates and the strong chlorine smell is the worry, but I might go buy a new nitrate test kit before to cross check this all first.

i don't think stress coat will deal with the nitrates, Prime is quite expensive but you use such a tiny amount that i think it works out more economical in the long run as a water conditioner. Does the same as stress coat plus it also detoxifies nitrite and nitrates

If you look at the edges of the fins on these glowlights is that normal for them? Is High Nitrate a cause or something else? They weren't always like that, but I have had them for 18months. None of the other types fish in that tank have it. But i think the baby Giraffe cichlids iIhave may also have something similar.

IMG_1686640x480.jpg

IMG_1688640x480.jpg

FTR, I roll the test tube over half of the results and what ever colour blends in the best, i.e you can't see, is what i think the result is
I normaly put the card down flat and look down through it while holding it above the colours. But I think titration tests give more accurate results.

Anyway I just got side tracked tacking photos of my fish - Got a good one which is now my avatar 8) but now I have just realized I have to be at work in 6 hours time so best I go to bed.

Will go buy a new test kit tomorrow and the post my results

Thanks so far all :hail:

If you look at the edges of the fins on these glowlights is that normal for them? Is High Nitrate a cause or something else?

It's caused by a large amount of a chemical known as Melanin.

Yes, it's normal, they're supposed to look like that.

It's caused by a large amount of a chemical known as Melanin.

Yes, it's normal, they're supposed to look like that.

Cool thanks, thats the same stuff that make our hair, eyes and skin coloured right?. They weren't always like that is it like going going grey with old age? Also it only seems that the males have this. I like my glowlights they are always well behaved and school very nicely.

BikBok - I have brought some prime and added it to my tank. You are right it is expensive per bottle but it will go a long way as 1/3 the rate needed of stesscoat. It says it detoxifies Nitrate but I assume it still remains present so can cause algae growth etc. Now what am I going to do with the 1L of stress coat I have left?

Also the pet shop in Pukekohe only had API test kits like I already have so I didn't get one, I will get something else off the web.

I have emailed Watercare Auckland about my concerns and I will post on what they respond to me. I based my complaint from the ministry of health drink water standards http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/0/12F2D7 ... z-2005.pdf

In short - Nitrates in our tap water should be below 11.3 ppm long term and 50ppm short term. It is very bad for infants and unborn if high nitrates are consumed. This is also concerning for me as our nearly 9 month old daughter is gulping down cups of water these days.