Black Arowana

Fishie123

Hey. I bought a Black Arowana today. But haven't picked it up yet. The only reason why i bought it was because the person who works in that place told me the minimum requirement for that fish is 500L, But the tank has to wider and long. But later on i read, that a minimum for a Arowana is 1300L. But I want a tank solely for 1 fish. I don't want to add anything beside the Black Arowana. Could someone help me. And tell me what the minimum is for "1" Arowana. And also could you tell me a good measurement for a tank.

thank you QQQQQ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least as wide as the fish is long, and three times the length of the fish in length is a basic minimum rume, IMO. So a 6x2x2' will be adequate for a while, but not for life. There isn't much point in going wider, the fish will be freaking out because of the lack of swimming space before it has problems turning around. Turning space isn't often a problem for arowanas, but skittish behaviour (and associated things like jumping and hitting the glass when spooked) when they feel too confined is.

My first black aro grew to about 22" in 2 years, they don't all grow that fast though. TBH if you're not budgeting for a tank 8' long and over 2' wide in the next few years an arowana isn't really the right fish for you.

BTW, where'd you get it from? How big?

My budget doesn't matter. But i just need the right measurement. Also. David, they got it in today at 2pm. i bought it from hollywood fish farm albany. There only 1 left. You should quickly go there and get it. Before some one like me buys it. David. Tell me the exact measurement for 1 arowana. Does that mean I can add other fish. Or no.

I've already got one reserved at Mt Roskill, I was just hoping you may have found someone selling one of the earlier imports which wouldn't require as much growing out before being added to my big tank.

There's loads of good info on Monsterfishkeepers.com in the Arowana forum, I'd suggest you do some research as it sounds like you've got a lot to learn before making such a commitment.

Fruju is right, 8' long 3' wide 2' high would be a minimum side "for life" IMO, but I still haven't come across anyone with a really old black aro, so who knows. You'll want to start off in a much smaller tank if you're getting it as a juvi though, they take a while to get their confidence.

you will need a large tank.

........ seriously.

any arowana requires a tank thats big.

but a south american arowana, black or silver grow very long, very fast and will require a wide tank so they can turn.

asian aros, are not as long, more thick and fat..... you can get away with a 6foot by 2 foot by 2 foot with a asian/jardinii arowana. but silver, black. I reckon 80 to 90 cms is better in width.

anyway, research prior to buying. arowana is a large fish