Garden plants in the Aquarium

Dawn

Thought I'd better post this one here seeing it's not strictly an Aquarium plant. This is the Carex testacea - Orange NZ Sedge - that I was telling the Chat Room about last night. I've had a lot come up from seed all over my bark garden - so if they can grow in that they'll grow anywhere! I thought drowning them couldn't be any worse than the drowning they've been getting lately!

carex.jpg

hey dawn Brendan here, how was the beach? if i were u i would remove it, most carex carry a fungus which will turn it all to slime. :cry: have major problems with them sometimes at work. ive tried alot of land plants in my tanks even small local mangroves whch look cool!

hey dawn Brendan here, how was the beach? if i were u i would remove it, most carex carry a fungus which will turn it all to slime. :cry: have major problems with them sometimes at work. ive tried alot of land plants in my tanks even small local mangroves whch look cool!

Hi Brendan, the beach was great, spent a few hours there with my grandchildren, lovely day. Reminds me, I must email you.

Thanks for the warning about the Carex, will keep an eye on it and remove it when it starts looking bad, still looking very good though.

I might try that Japanese Rush thanks Jo.

Mmmm that reminds me I have some black mondo grass planted by the letterbox, I think it's hidden under the ivy growing over the letterbox - must see if there's any still there and rescue it - to drown it :lol:

I googled 'libertia', looks very nice, can I get that at any plant shop Brendan?

Keep the names coming folks, I'm writing them all down.

I'm currently 'slowly drowning' a Myriophyllum robustum. I found it at Palmers, it's a NZ native that is quite rare apparently. Planting depth upto 2m and has incredible submerged foliage and is a great spawning ground for fish - so the tag says!

Another species - M. aquaticum - is mentioned on the FNZAS webpage as being a pest in NZ! Do you know anything about M. robustum Brendan?

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/320+B6JnVzZXJfc ... Dg_.0.html

So when you slowly drown a plant to put into an aquarium do you leave it in the pot (soil & all) or do you empty it and clean the soil from the roots first?

I originally put one in a bucket pot and all and half covered the plant with water then added a bit more each day - but after a couple of days the water was black and the plant was filthy! So I took it out cleaned it off so it was soil-less then put it back into the bucket with clean water and some gravel in the bottom to hold it in place. It's currently outside in the shade getting a little early morning sunshine.

Should I be feeding it some Flourish or something while I'm waiting for it to drown? Am I doing the right thing or am I completely bonkers - no need to answer that one, I already know the answer...

Dawn, when you plant Myriophyllum robustum into the tank, the plant doesn't die, but the leaf shap will definately change.

Then they will keep trying to grow to the surface to once again change when emmersed.

Mondo is not an aquatic, black or green

Alan 104

I have grown mini mondo grass before and currently have some in one of my tanks, bought from an LFS. Actually I didn't have much success with it last time but hoping for better results this time around.

Where do you work Brendan, I'll come and see you?

Dawn, when you plant Myriophyllum robustum into the tank, the plant doesn't die, but the leaf shap will definately change.

Then they will keep trying to grow to the surface to once again change when emmersed. Mondo is not an aquatic, black or green

Alan 104

Thanks Alan, it'll be interesting to watch. This is what the FNZAS says about Mondo Grass - "Two colour varieties exist – a black & a green form. A popular hardy aquarium plant."