Getting Driftwood from overseas?

Fishie123

Hey Everyone.

My cousin from America found some really unique driftwood from the beach, and has a lot of spare driftwood that he doesn't need. He was considering giving me some. But one problem.... I live in New Zealand. So i was was discussing about if I am able to get them into new zealand. But he told me there might be a problem with Maf or something rather. My question are.... Will there be a problem with maf? Will i even be able to get driftwood from overseas into New Zealand? How much would it be to get wood into New Zealand. It will be sad if the cost of getting driftwood in New Zealand be $1000>.

Hey Everyone.

My cousin from America found some really unique driftwood from the beach, and has a lot of spare driftwood that he doesn't need. He was considering giving me some. But one problem.... I live in New Zealand. So i was was discussing about if I am able to get them into new zealand. But he told me there might be a problem with Maf or something rather. My question are.... Will there be a problem with maf? Will i even be able to get driftwood from overseas into New Zealand? How much would it be to get wood into New Zealand. It will be sad if the cost of getting driftwood in New Zealand be $1000>.

If you're lucky they might just require it to be steam cleaned and then fumigated with pesticides. Along with all the paperwork to certify it's been done. The regulations on importing natural plant materials are pretty strict given the huge risk of pest and disease contamination.

Also shipping, if it's anything but a couple small pieces, would easily be hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

It's really too bad you can't find driftwood just laying around on the ground around rivers and beaches instead of shipping it halfway around the world.

Actually shipping will be cheap if you organise a container shipment. You pay per cubic meter and it's not too expensive. Just like moving furniture overseas.

You must however get it fumigated and treated with formalin; and have the certs to prove it when the shipment arrives to NZ in about 30-45 days. If you don't have those certs MAF will give you the option of getting them fumigated at whatever cost; or will destroy them within a certain number of days.