Exotic Finches (internet-sourced photos)

Joe

Hi everyone,

This is continued from the Neophema pulchella thread.

I have gathered together some photos of my favourite exotic finches (apart from Gouldians because there is a photo on the Neophema thread).

Enjoy!!

Cuban Finch - Tiaris canora

cubanfinch.jpg

Male.

3442837540_fab0b02c58.jpg?v=0

Pair, female on right.

Red-cheeked Cordon - Uraeginthus bengalus

Red-cheeked_Cordon-bleu.jpg

Male. Females is exactly the same except she doesn't have the red cheek spot.

Cherry Finch - Aidemosyne modesta

Aidemosyne%20modesta%20-%20Ceresamadine.jpg

Red-billed Firefinch - Lagonosticta senegala

Amarante_du_Senegal_-_Lake_Awasa_Ethiopie.jpg

Male.

hwg002492-Senegalamarant.jpg

Female.

Peter’s Twinspot – Hypargos niveoguttatus

550px-Peterss_Twinspot.jpg

Male.

Aurora Finch – Pytilia phoenicoptera

astro-aurora.jpg

Melba Finch – Pytilia melba

3274645550_e1eb074c1f.jpg?v=0

Male. Females are grey with barring on the underparts, but have no colour.

Purple Grenadier – Uraeginthus ianthinogaster

0756966001159878766-822316711.jpg

Male.

astrildu2.jpg

Female.

Pin-tailed Parrot Finch – Erythrura prasina

yynyorbq.jpg

Male. Females are dull olive-green.

Spice Finch – Lonchura punctulata

Lonchura%20punctulata.jpg

Painted Finch – Emblema picta

a_Gemalt1_0.jpg

Male. Females do not have the red face.

Bicheno (Ringed) Finch – Taeniopygia bichenovii

2140989096_d27173d87b.jpg

2140989250_27f4bcc832.jpg?v=0

No you wouldn't find any of those in the wild, they all need 20 degrees+ year round.

As far as I know all are availible in New Zealand. I've seen Cubans, Cherries, Red-cheeked Cordons, Firefinches and Aurora Finches in the flesh and they are all spectacular birds :hail: There is a man here in Blenheim who breeds those five mentioned above as well as Gouldians too.

I have bred and kept most of those when I was in California and they can be kept in a wider range of temperature than you might think. Some have piercing tweets that are 10 times louder than you would expect from such a little bird! :o

I miss them... :cry:

Do they chirp a lot?

Or will they keep totally quiet 24/7?

The flatmates said you couldn't have another tank, but not another bird eh :wink:

If you have girl flatmates I'm sure you could get away with bringing one home in your pocket and say you saved it from the jaws of a cat.... who could say no to that?

The flatmates said you couldn't have another tank, but not another bird eh :wink:

If you have girl flatmates I'm sure you could get away with bringing one home in your pocket and say you saved it from the jaws of a cat.... who could say no to that?

my house; my rules now :happy1:

You are best to find a breeder Phoenix. It is highly unlikely a shop would stock them. Also with a breeder you can buy guaranteed pairs and you can be sure that the birds you are purchasing are not related. Plus the prices should be quite good, and you will have a large range of birds to choose from. A lot of them don't eat much food though, so you will have to be constantly feeding them waxworms and moths, and mealworms and whiteworms plus other stuff. If you want to start of keeping exotic finches Gouldians are the best to start with because they are easy to care for, don't need too much livefood and eat mainly seed, and they are affordable and very colourful. You can choose out of the three natural colour morphs.

a_Chloebia_gouldiae-10engl.jpg

Sorry I can't watch that youtube link. Youtube takes ages to load on our computer because we only have dial-up.

But yes finches love to have a bath :P For some odd reason my three haven't figured it out, but the Zebra Finches I used to have loved it!

You are best to find a breeder Phoenix. It is highly unlikely a shop would stock them. Also with a breeder you can buy guaranteed pairs and you can be sure that the birds you are purchasing are not related. Plus the prices should be quite good, and you will have a large range of birds to choose from. A lot of them don't eat much food though, so you will have to be constantly feeding them waxworms and moths, and mealworms and whiteworms plus other stuff. If you want to start of keeping exotic finches Gouldians are the best to start with because they are easy to care for, don't need too much livefood and eat mainly seed, and they are affordable and very colourful. You can choose out of the three natural colour morphs.

a_Chloebia_gouldiae-10engl.jpg

Plus they come with white breasts too!